Maximizing Brain Health: Effective Exercises for Memory and Mental Fitness

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for brain exercises to improve memory and overall brain health. The individual has a severe mental disability and is looking for exercises that are free and effective, as well as seeking advice on whether to start with brain rehab exercises or move directly to regular brain exercises. Ultimately, it is advised to consult with a medical professional for personalized recommendations.
timeuser84
Hi, I am wondering if there is any brain exercises(possibly free) to do to make my brain more mentally fit and as best as it can be for myself. I want to exersize everything or all areas, making my brain balanced in every erea, specifically to improve memory and/or shot term memory to start with.

Recently I have noticed I forget to do simple tasks like flush the toilet after I use it, leave the mail key in my mail box at the apt complex I live in and other simple tasks witch is on reason I want to do brain exercises to start with memory/short term memory to get that to stop. The other reason I want to exercise my brain is so that by the time its in its best state, I can do bodybuilding to get ripped and other things related to that witch has been a goal of mine for years. If I don't exercise my brain first then I think I would be like a chicken running around with its head cut off therefore making it much more difficult to complete the exercises.

I have a severe mental disability called schizoaffective disorder and so I am thinking I would need some sort of brain rehab exercise/s to start with before I could move onto normal or regular brain exercises due to my mental condition. Does that even matter? do I need brain rehab exercise first? or can I just move onto the regular brain exercises?

I have searched for information on brain exercises on the net and a lot of it says the same thing however I read a article on brain exercises that basically said a lot of the stuff doesn't do anything for the brain or not much and that crossword puzzles will only make you better at crossword puzzles rather then increase or improve your memory. Because of this I do not want to do anything that is pseudo science or that won't work plus making it a waste of time. I am also thinking that IQ and EQ testing could help me improve my brain state/health, is this true?

is there any brain exercises out there I can do that won't cost a dime to make my brain be in its best possible shape or at least improve my memory/short term memory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
timeuser84 said:
I have a severe mental disability called schizoaffective disorder and so I am thinking I would need some sort of brain rehab exercise/s to start with before I could move onto normal or regular brain exercises due to my mental condition. Does that even matter? do I need brain rehab exercise first? or can I just move onto the regular brain exercises?
We cannot offer medical advice on the PF. Because of your disorder, it's very important that you talk with your family medical professional (doctor, etc.) about these questions. It would be so easy for us to give you the wrong advice for your particular situation.

Sorry, thread must be closed now.

1. What are some brain exercises that can improve brain health?

Some brain exercises that can improve brain health include puzzles, memory games, learning a new skill, physical exercise, and meditation.

2. How often should I do brain exercises?

It is recommended to do brain exercises at least 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes each session. Consistency is key for seeing improvements in brain health.

3. Can brain exercises prevent cognitive decline?

While there is no guarantee, research has shown that engaging in regular brain exercises can help prevent cognitive decline and potentially decrease the risk of developing dementia or Alzheimer's disease.

4. Are there any foods or supplements that can improve brain health?

Some foods that have been linked to improved brain health include fatty fish, blueberries, nuts, and dark chocolate. Additionally, supplements like omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12, and ginkgo biloba may also have positive effects on brain health.

5. Can brain exercises improve overall cognitive function?

Yes, brain exercises can improve overall cognitive function by strengthening neural connections, improving memory and recall, and increasing mental flexibility and agility.