Understanding the Hippocampus: Functions and Anatomy of the Human Brain

• Medical
  • Thread starter biferi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the Hippocampus is a "C"-shaped part of the brain located between the two temporal lobes. It goes around the hypothalamus, which is the center of the brain in an oval shape. The hippocampus animation can be used to compare the location of the two brain structures.
biferi
I am reading a lot on the Hippocampus of the Human Brain and I understand what it does.

But I looked on Wikapedia and google and all over trying to find a good photo of where it is and the shape of it.

I can not see any good pictures or anything can anyone help?

Biology news on Phys.org

That's really amazing, Om!

lisab said:
That's really amazing, Om!
Agreed! The best I've seen.

zoobyshoe said:
Agreed! The best I've seen.
That was in my link. :grumpy: Yeah, I want recognition for finding it! :tongue2: Did you guys not get the wiki article with it?

Evo said:
That was in my link. :grumpy: Yeah, I want recognition for finding it! :tongue2: Did you guys not get the wiki article with it?
If we give you recognition then the person who made the animation will show up wanting recognition, then the person whose brain it's based on will show up wanting recognition, then someone will show up claiming to be God wanting recognition for designing the brain.

Don't invite people claiming to be God wanting recognition for designing the brain.

Get rid of cable, and sign up for DirectTV.

Credit for the image can be found on the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hippocampus.gif

h1.gif

Overview
The Integrated Database Project aims to add functions in order to support the drafting of a national strategy determined by the government, and to direct its execution with regard to the establishment of databases for fields in the life sciences. As well as reappraising existing efforts, the project supports a portal site on the Internet, and works to improve the ease of use and integration of Japan's life sciences databases. In this way, it promotes the wider utilization of these resources by the general public and others.

zoobyshoe said:
If we give you recognition then the person who made the animation will show up wanting recognition, then the person whose brain it's based on will show up wanting recognition, then someone will show up claiming to be God wanting recognition for designing the brain.

Don't invite people claiming to be God wanting recognition for designing the brain.

Get rid of cable, and sign up for DirectTV.
Lol, I love those commercials.

OmCheeto said:
Credit for the image can be found on the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hippocampus.gif

h1.gif
Party pooper. :wink:

Evo said:
Lol, I love those commercials.
I've not watched TV in, well, I don't know how long, 5 years maybe? If you love a commercial, please share it on PF. I will watch. :smile:
Party pooper. :wink:
It took me probably two whole hours to research and compose that most magnificent of posts...:grumpy:

Just pretend I'm a light hour away next time, and it will all make sense.

(Or just pretend I'm slow. I'm used to it.):wink:

ps. This is what we saw on your link:

220px-MRI_Location_Hippocampus_up..png

And when we clicked on it, it all looked like Canadian. And who the hell can read Canadian? :tongue2:

OmCheeto said:
ps. This is what we saw on your link:

220px-MRI_Location_Hippocampus_up..png

And when we clicked on it, it all looked like Canadian. And who the hell can read Canadian? :tongue2:
:cry: I failed.

Evo said:

I got a wiki article in Catalan, but not the animation.

That's disgusting :yuck: :smile:

atyy said:
That's disgusting :yuck: :smile:

Well to have to deep-fry it first; a side of tartar wouldn't hurt either.

OmCheeto said:
:rofl: true
Pythagorean said:
hippo - "horse"
kampos/kampe - "sea monster"/"catepillar"
Now, I never knew that: thanks for that info!

Brain parts help

I know that on the Left and Right sides of the Brain is the Temporal Lobes.

Now inbetween the two Temporal Lobes is a "C" shap part of the Brain called the Hippocamus.

Now if the two hafes of the Hippocampus are one on eatch side of the innerside of the Temporal Lobes does this meen the Hippocampus goes around the Hypothalamus?

Because the Hypothalamus is the Center of the Brain in an Ovel Shap and starting on the Bottom left and righ6t side then going up the back and over the top to make the "C" shap is the Hipocampus?

Thanks

biferi said:
I know that on the Left and Right sides of the Brain is the Temporal Lobes.

Now inbetween the two Temporal Lobes is a "C" shap part of the Brain called the Hippocamus.

Now if the two hafes of the Hippocampus are one on eatch side of the innerside of the Temporal Lobes does this meen the Hippocampus goes around the Hypothalamus?

Because the Hypothalamus is the Center of the Brain in an Ovel Shap and starting on the Bottom left and righ6t side then going up the back and over the top to make the "C" shap is the Hipocampus?

Thanks

This shows the location of the hypothalamus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hypothalamus.gif#file
If you can open the hippocampus animation in another window you can compare the locations.

The two hippocampi are actually individual nuclei. Taxi drivers are shown to have a strong correlation with a larger right hippocampus, implying a larger, more detailed memory of city layout.

Pythagorean said:
The two hippocampi are actually individual nuclei. Taxi drivers are shown to have a strong correlation with a larger right hippocampus, implying a larger, more detailed memory of city layout.

Left and right hippocampi store different sorts of memories?

I am so so so sorry I ask my thought in the wrong way.

I ment to say the Thalamus is an Ovle Shapt part of the Brain and it is near the center.

And the Hippocampas is a little Streat pice on the Left and Right side of bottom of the Thalamus.

And they start in the front and go streat back then up and over the top and to the front like a backword C is this right?

What is the hippocampus?

The hippocampus is a small, curved structure located within the brain's temporal lobe. It is a vital part of the limbic system, which plays a crucial role in memory, emotions, and behavior.

What are the functions of the hippocampus?

The hippocampus is primarily responsible for forming new memories and consolidating them into long-term memory. It also plays a role in spatial navigation, emotional regulation, and decision-making.

How does the hippocampus interact with other areas of the brain?

The hippocampus works closely with other brain regions, such as the prefrontal cortex and the amygdala, to process and store memories. It also receives information from the senses and helps to integrate this information with existing memories.

What happens if the hippocampus is damaged?

If the hippocampus is damaged, a person may experience difficulties with memory formation, spatial navigation, and emotional regulation. This can result in conditions such as amnesia, Alzheimer's disease, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

How can we improve the health of our hippocampus?

There are several ways to promote the health of the hippocampus, such as engaging in regular physical exercise, getting enough sleep, and maintaining a healthy diet. Mental exercises, such as learning new skills and challenging the brain with puzzles and games, can also help to improve hippocampal function.