Exploring the Brain-Mind Relationship

• Thread starter Poorichard2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relationship
In summary, the speaker argued that the mind can be thought of as the software and the brain as the hardware. The mind is believed to exist in the brain, but is uncertain the space or state of it's existence. The brain is believed to have physical substance, shape texture and fluid, and the mind is believed to be somewhere in the brain, but uncertain the space or state of it's existence. We understand through science that the mind is somewhere in the brain, as an example: if an arm is removed, leg or other parts of the body is damaged except the brain, mind continues to function. However, if the brain is damaged in certain ways, the mind is affected in certain definite ways. The mind is also related to the
Poorichard2
I find it difficult on knowing where to begin, brain or mind. In a lecture I attended
the speaker said the brain can be thought of as the hardware and the mind as
the software. After much thought on this I was comfortable with the idea,it seem
to fit so well but not totally. The brain as we know has physical substance,shape
texture and fluid. The mind we believe is somewhere in the brain but uncertain
the space or state of it's existence. We do understand through science that the
mind is somewhere in the brain, as an example: if an arm is removed,leg or other
parts of the body is damaged except the brain, mind continues to function, but on
the other hand the brain is damged or destroyed mind ceases, thus we assume a
relationship of brain and mind. Let's assume that the mind is the seat of the brain's
reality (software) and the brain's physical geography the hardware or structure.
There seems to be a relationship of brain development and the mind's capacity,
and a relationship of mind to the brain's capacity, however from different perspectives.
Can mind exist without the physical envelope of a wet brain? Can the wet brain exist
without mind? I am more or less inclined to think of brain and mind as a unit, the
wet brain as the housing and the mind as it's rational reality.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Poorichard2
I find it difficult on knowing where to begin, brain or mind. In a lecture I attended
the speaker said the brain can be thought of as the hardware and the mind as
the software. After much thought on this I was comfortable with the idea,it seem
to fit so well but not totally. The brain as we know has physical substance,shape
texture and fluid. The mind we believe is somewhere in the brain but uncertain
the space or state of it's existence. We do understand through science that the
mind is somewhere in the brain, as an example: if an arm is removed,leg or other
parts of the body is damaged except the brain, mind continues to function, but on
the other hand the brain is damged or destroyed mind ceases, thus we assume a
relationship of brain and mind. Let's assume that the mind is the seat of the brain's
reality (software) and the brain's physical geography the hardware or structure.
There seems to be a relationship of brain development and the mind's capacity,
and a relationship of mind to the brain's capacity, however from different perspectives.
Can mind exist without the physical envelope of a wet brain? Can the wet brain exist
without mind? I am more or less inclined to think of brain and mind as a unit, the
wet brain as the housing and the mind as it's rational reality.

Importantly, if the brain is injured in certain ways, the mind is affected in certain definite ways, and by studying people whose brains have been damaged in various very particular ways, we can get some insights into the way the brain and the mind are interelated. It seems to be wrong to think of the mind as being "in the brain" as if it were a thing someplace inside there. Perhaps the mind is a process which is determined partly by the physical processs in the brain and partly to the relations between the brain and the rest of the body.

Thank you for your response,I do appreciate it.

To continue on brain/mind/?

We know when looking at a person as an example, that image is beening realizied
within the brain, or hearing receiving vibrations, smell & taste stimulation,etc,etc.
The human body transmitting information to the brain,the brain in turn responding
to stimuli if it requires a response and so on. This elementary subject can easily
be found in book stores or the internet, the reason I mentioned it briefly is to
provide a back ground.
Information is not easily provided in certain areas unless expressed with theories
and or concepts, i.e. mind dimensional preception of self awareness,etc.etc.
which I have been working on for some years. These are the discussions in later
post I wish to continue with hope of feedback from others who are interested
on the subject. If no feed back I will just have to drop the subject here and
continue it on other posts.:smile:

1. What is the brain-mind relationship?

The brain-mind relationship refers to the complex and interconnected relationship between the physical brain and the mind, which encompasses our consciousness, thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. The brain is the physical organ responsible for processing and interpreting information, while the mind is the subjective experience of this information.

2. How does the brain affect the mind?

The brain affects the mind through various processes such as sensory perception, memory, and emotion regulation. The structure and function of the brain, including neural connections and chemical neurotransmitters, play a crucial role in shaping our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors.

3. Can the mind change the brain?

Yes, the mind can change the brain through neuroplasticity, which is the brain's ability to reorganize and form new neural connections in response to experiences and learning. Our thoughts, behaviors, and emotions can physically change the structure and function of the brain, leading to long-term changes in our cognitive and emotional processes.

4. What is the impact of meditation on the brain-mind relationship?

Studies have shown that regular meditation practice can lead to changes in the brain's structure and function, such as increased gray matter density in areas associated with attention and emotional regulation. This suggests that meditation can improve the brain-mind relationship by promoting neuroplasticity and enhancing cognitive and emotional processes.

5. How can understanding the brain-mind relationship benefit us?

Understanding the brain-mind relationship can have many benefits, including gaining insight into the mechanisms of mental disorders and developing more effective treatments. It can also help us understand ourselves and others better, improve our emotional regulation and decision-making skills, and enhance our overall well-being and happiness.