Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brain Power

1. Jun 3, 2008 #1
    If you have to lift some large mass a certain number of feet is there a way to calculate the amount of brain power used?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2008 #2
    Like, lift it with your mind? Depends on how fast you lift it.
    Brain Power = M g h / t
    M=mass, h=height, t=time to lift it.

4. Jun 3, 2008 #3
    Work = Force * Distance

I guess it depends on what manner you apply a force to achieve the work.

Here, brain power is inversely related to the difficulty in which the work is achieved. Meaning, if the work is achieved easily an in a timely manner (low difficulty), a large amount of brain power can be assumed employed. But, if the work is achieved rather sloppily and with much physical laboring (high difficulty), then a lack of brain power can be assumed employed. Either way it is a rough approximation and current efforts have been directed at pondering more insightful questions.

5. Jun 3, 2008 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok I'll be the first one to say it. Ummm WHAAAT?

6. Jun 3, 2008 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, I wouldn't lift it with my head. Neck problems seem to run in my family. Better to use a winch.

Anyway, the answer to the question in the OP is: no. And since there is no physics content to this, there really isn't anything to discuss.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?