1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brain Power

1. Jun 3, 2008 #1
    If you have to lift some large mass a certain number of feet is there a way to calculate the amount of brain power used?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2008 #2
    Like, lift it with your mind? Depends on how fast you lift it.
    Brain Power = M g h / t
    M=mass, h=height, t=time to lift it.

4. Jun 3, 2008 #3
    Work = Force * Distance

I guess it depends on what manner you apply a force to achieve the work.

Here, brain power is inversely related to the difficulty in which the work is achieved. Meaning, if the work is achieved easily an in a timely manner (low difficulty), a large amount of brain power can be assumed employed. But, if the work is achieved rather sloppily and with much physical laboring (high difficulty), then a lack of brain power can be assumed employed. Either way it is a rough approximation and current efforts have been directed at pondering more insightful questions.

5. Jun 3, 2008 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok I'll be the first one to say it. Ummm WHAAAT?

6. Jun 3, 2008 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, I wouldn't lift it with my head. Neck problems seem to run in my family. Better to use a winch.

Anyway, the answer to the question in the OP is: no. And since there is no physics content to this, there really isn't anything to discuss.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?