Efficient Brain Scan Methods for Synapse Detection

• Thread starter fredreload
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, MRI does not have the resolution to image individual synapses by many orders of magnitude. The technology to move the data from the brain to your computer does not exist.
fredreload
I'm looking for an efficient way to scan the brain for synapses, my previous thread contain solution that suggested by injecting a virus to create solar roof on the neurons a sort of electromagnetic pulse can be detected to light up the neurons. Now I am looking for another way without having to inject a virus. Are there other methods available now for scanning the brain synapses?

Biology news on Phys.org
fredreload said:
I'm looking for an efficient way to scan the brain for synapses,
This doesn't make sense. There are over 100 trillion synapses in a typical brain.

This is like asking for a technique to scan the ocean for water.

Likes Laroxe
There is no current technology that can allow us to visualise an individual synapse at work. They can only really be looked at by electron microscopes, perhaps in cultured neurones outside of an organism. However what would you want to do with this information? neurones often interconnect with up to 10,000 others, all of these potentially trying to influence its action potential, they then sit in a neurochemical bath which also influences its behaviour. Even within an individual synapse there are a range of different receptor types with a variety of functions. It is possible to look at the activity in neurochemical pathways using PET scans but you would need to think about what it was you wanted to know before thinking about a technology to investigate it.
I expect the "solar roof" idea might be worth following up if it attracted a government subsidy.:)

Jedishrfu, cool, that is where I got the solar roof idea. Laroxe, the problem with the solar roof idea is you need to be looking inside the brain to capture the infrared pulse. The problem with MRI scan is it does not have high enough resolution, and I don't think it capture the nerve impulse as well. Dale, well, I would like to scan the entire brain and have all the synapses show up in my computer as well as where and how the nerve impulses fire. For now I am just examining the type of scan and technology that would enable me to scan the brain to do such a task. I can worry about the hardware a bit later since it is constantly improving over time.

You are talking about something like 70 petabytes of data per second. The technology to do the scan does not exist, and the technology to move the data from the brain to your computer does not exist. Maybe those will both be solved in the future, but not now.

Likes Laroxe
For MRI it creates an image in the computer through a Fourier Transform method. The solar roof method works, but you need to look inside the brain to retrieve that glow. If there is a way to retrieve this glow from outside let me know

fredreload said:
For MRI it creates an image in the computer through a Fourier Transform method
Yes, that is my personal area of expertise. We are nowhere near the kind of resolution needed to image individual synapses, by many orders of magnitude.

Ya, it's a hard one

Dale said:
Yes, that is my personal area of expertise. We are nowhere near the kind of resolution needed to image individual synapses, by many orders of magnitude.
Hmm, is there a way to increase the MRI reading speed? How long does MRI takes to produce an image? Can it be updated in real time?

1. What is the goal of efficient brain scan methods for synapse detection?

The goal of efficient brain scan methods for synapse detection is to accurately and efficiently identify and analyze the synaptic connections between neurons in the brain. This can provide valuable insights into brain function and neurological disorders.

2. What are the current methods used for synapse detection in brain scans?

The current methods used for synapse detection in brain scans include electron microscopy, fluorescence microscopy, and immunohistochemistry. These methods have various advantages and limitations, and there is a need for more efficient and accurate techniques.

3. How do efficient brain scan methods for synapse detection improve upon current methods?

Efficient brain scan methods for synapse detection utilize advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, and image processing algorithms to improve the accuracy and speed of synapse detection. This can help overcome the limitations of current methods and provide more detailed and reliable data.

4. What are the potential applications of efficient brain scan methods for synapse detection?

Efficient brain scan methods for synapse detection can have a wide range of applications, including studying brain development, understanding brain disorders, and developing new treatments for neurological diseases. They can also aid in drug discovery and testing, as well as advancing our understanding of brain function.

5. What are the challenges in developing efficient brain scan methods for synapse detection?

Developing efficient brain scan methods for synapse detection is a complex task that involves overcoming technical challenges, such as improving image resolution and reducing noise. Additionally, there are ethical considerations surrounding the use of artificial intelligence and the need for standardized protocols and data sharing within the scientific community.