Brain Storming - Time and Distance

• Thread starter AntonVrba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between physical constants and how they can be expressed in terms of Energy, Time, and Distance. The conversation also delves into concepts such as acceleration, speed, frequency, inverse speed, and inverse distance. There is also mention of the derivatives of position, with terms such as jerk and surge being used. The conversation concludes with a question about the conservation of (m/s)^3.
AntonVrba
Many physical constant can be expressed in terms of Energy, Time [T] and Distance [L].

Now some basic qestions for a brain storming session.

1. if acceleration is L/T^2 then what name would you give the next term L/T^3 ?

2. if the speed of light is the maximum speed is there also a limit to the acceleartion L/T^2, L/T^3 and L/T^4 etc.

3. if frequency is 1/T then what is and what name would you give 1/L ?

4. similarly has inverse speed T/L or better T/L^2 any physical meaning, or am I just stretching my abstract mind a bit too far.

regards and have fun

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Change in speed is acceleration, change in acceleration is jerk, change in a jerk is a snap, change in a crackle, change in a crackle is a pop. Those silly physicists... spagettification, branes, swiss meatballs, cereal related technical names...

And in England a jerk is also referred to as something else I believe, but its more common to say its a jerk.
2. Yes, of course relatively.
3. Speed, I would say. 1 something per time amount, let's say second. That sounds like Frequency. 1 something per distance unit, that sound like speed.
4. Well, pretty much everything has a physical meaning, including inverse acceleration. Just look at teh 336,000 results I got on google.

Last edited:
1) I believe it's called Jerk, like jerking a rope.
2) There is NO upper limit to acceleration.
3) 1/L -> Wavenumber is the closest concept I think.
4) You can always make a situation where it is assigned
physical meaning.

Keep stretching. You're doing well.

Acceleration is not limited, feel free to accelerate at a trillion meters per second /second (for a time far shorter than a second, of course).

similarly has inverse speed T/L or better T/L^2 any physical meaning, or am I just stretching my abstract mind a bit too far.

If we believe in time as passing at an absolute rate, it is obvious why we would measure distance L relative to a standard T. Because of special relativity, it is speed that is absolute (neither distance or time pass at an absolute rate) so we can convert meters equivalently to seconds.

Last edited:
No the derivative of acceleration is surge, then its jerk I am not aware what the 5th derivative of position is.

Interesting, these signs made me think:

if the sum of all the momentums is conserved (m/s)
and the sum of all energies is conserved (m/s)^2
can we deduce that the sum of all (m/s)^3 is conserved? I suppose I should probably just try a few problems and see if the before/after match up after solving using momentum and energy conservation.

BigStelly said:
No the derivative of acceleration is surge, then its jerk I am not aware what the 5th derivative of position is.

According, to http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/d/de/derivative.htm jerk IS the first derivative of acceleration. No one really cares what the rest are, there's a point where it's only used for math anyway, and doesn't get applied.

Oh, and to #3, I would call it inverse distance.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is brain storming?

Brain storming is a creative problem-solving technique where a group of individuals come together to generate ideas and solutions for a specific topic or issue.

2. How does time and distance affect brain storming?

Time and distance can affect brain storming in several ways. When individuals are physically separated, it can be more challenging to effectively communicate and collaborate. Additionally, time constraints can limit the amount of time available for brainstorming and may lead to rushed or incomplete ideas.

3. How can we overcome the challenges of time and distance in brain storming?

There are several strategies that can help overcome the challenges of time and distance in brain storming. Utilizing technology, such as video conferencing or online collaboration tools, can help bridge the distance gap. Setting clear guidelines and time limits can also help keep the brainstorming session focused and productive.

4. Is brain storming effective for problem-solving?

Yes, brain storming can be an effective tool for problem-solving. It allows for a diverse range of ideas to be generated and encourages collaboration and creativity. However, it is important to have a structured approach and clear goals in order to make the most out of a brain storming session.

5. How can we ensure equal participation in brain storming sessions?

To ensure equal participation in brain storming sessions, it is important to create a safe and inclusive environment where all ideas are welcomed and encouraged. Additionally, setting ground rules and rotating the facilitator role can help ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity to contribute.