Brain Teaser 5: Solve 0! + 0! + 0! + 0! = 24

• Thread starter drag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation (0! + 0! + 0! + 0!)! = 24 and how it relates to factorials. It is explained that 0! is equal to 1 and this is mathematically proven. The conversation also touches on the topic of choosing objects from a set and the importance of defining 0! as 1. Ultimately, it is concluded that (0! + 0! + 0! + 0!)! = 24 because it is equal to 4!, which evaluates to 24.
drag
Science Advisor
Greetings !

What's all that stuff about (0! + 0! + 0! + 0!)! = 24 !?

Thanks ! :smile:

Live long and prosper.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(0)! (pronounced as Zero -Factorial), is equal to 1. The factorial of the sum of the factorials of four zeros, each taken separately, giving 4!, which is equal to 24.

Eeh... factorial ?

Consider this:

4! = 4 * 3 * 2 * 1

So n!, where n is a natural number =

n * (n-1) * ... * 1

It can be mathematically proven that 0! = 1

Don't ask me how, because I forgot.

there is no 0! proof

actually there is no proof that 0! = 1. look at it from this perspective:

disregarding the order in which we choose, how many ways we can choose k objects from a set of n objects? when finding ways to choose we use the following: nCk = n!/(k!(n-k)!). since there is only one way that one can choose 0 objects, we define 0! = 1 so that n!/(0!(n-0)!) = n!/0!n! = 1/0! = 1.

bascially 0! = 1 is defined as such because we simply need it to be. try to choose k = 0 objects from a set of n objects if 0! = 0. now that's chaos.

i hope that helps.

Aah...so 0! = 1 , in that case I knew what a factorial is but
I never heard of this equality so I thought this may be something else.

Thanks ! :smile:

Live long and prosper.

4*3*2*1=24 how does that work?

Originally posted by Andy
4*3*2*1=24 how does that work?
What do you mean? By definition 4!=4*3*2*1 which is 24. THats not the answer to the brain teaser, its just an example

What do you mean? By definition 4!=4*3*2*1 which is 24. THats not the answer to the brain teaser, its just an example

Sarcasm gets lost online.

Originally posted by Andy
Sarcasm gets lost online.
What are you talking about?!...I was not being sarcastic. I was answering your question. If I didnt understand your question, that isn't my fault.

I was trying to be sarcastic, most probably just a piss poor attempt at sarcasm, but i was trying.

Basically, (0! + 0! + 0! + 0!)! = (1 + 1 + 1 + 1)!, which equals 4! which evaluates to 24. That is all there is to it!

What is the solution to 0! + 0! + 0! + 0! = 24?

The solution is that there is no solution. This is a trick question, as the factorial of 0 is 1, so the equation becomes 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4, not 24.

Why is the equation 0! + 0! + 0! + 0! = 24 considered a brain teaser?

This equation is considered a brain teaser because it involves basic math operations and the use of factorials, which can be confusing and tricky to solve.

Can you explain the concept of factorials in relation to this brain teaser?

Factorials are numbers that are multiplied by all the integers that are smaller than it. In this brain teaser, the factorials of 0 are used, which is equal to 1. So the equation becomes 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4, not 24.

What is the correct way to solve this brain teaser?

The correct way to solve this brain teaser is to recognize that the factorials of 0 are equal to 1, so the equation becomes 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4, not 24.

Why do some people still try to solve this brain teaser despite the fact that it has no solution?

Some people may still try to solve this brain teaser because they may not be familiar with the concept of factorials or they may enjoy the challenge of trying to solve a tricky equation.