How Can You Use Only Four Zeros to Get the Number 24 in Math?

• Thread starter kauai_diver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation is about a brain teaser that asks for a way to obtain the number 24 using only four zeros and mathematical operations/symbols. The answer is determined to be (0!+0!+0!+0!)! = 24, but one person is confused about how to get this answer using binary arithmetic. Another person explains that 0! is a factorial and has a value of 1, not 0, and that factorial notation comes after the value. The correct result is determined to be 4! = 24.
kauai_diver
I guess I don't have access to the brain teaser forum. This one kinda confused me:

Using “Only Four” ZEROS (0) and any Mathematical Operations/Symbols, to obtain the number 24.

Answer is (0! + 0! + 0! + 0!)! = 24

I know I am a bit rusty with hex/binary arithmatic but the answer i get with (0! + 0! + 0! + 0!)! is 3 assuming 8 bits:

0! = 0xFF and assuming no carry over:

0xFF + 0xFF = 0xFE

so (0xFF + 0xFF + 0xFF + 0xFF) = 0xFC

!0xFC = 3 Right? Where did I go wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah... I was wondering about the same thing.
0! is a factorial, just like n! for example with n
being any natural number. However 0! = 1.

Live long and prosper.

LOL you beat me to it, just got schooled from my wife of all people!

She said !0 would be 0xFF, but 0! = 1.

Factorial notation comes AFTER the value.

and 4! = 24.

1. How can you use only four zeros to get the number 24 in math?

One way to use only four zeros to get the number 24 in math is by using the following equation: 0+0+0+0=24. This simply means adding four zeros together to get the number 24.

2. Can you use multiplication to get the number 24 with only four zeros?

Yes, you can use multiplication to get the number 24 with only four zeros. One example is: 0 x 0 x 0 x 24 = 24. This means multiplying three zeros by 24 to get the desired result.

3. Is division a possible operation to get the number 24 with only four zeros?

No, division is not a possible operation to get the number 24 with only four zeros. This is because dividing any number by zero is undefined, and therefore cannot result in the number 24.

4. What other mathematical operations can be used to get 24 with only four zeros?

In addition to addition and multiplication, subtraction can also be used to get the number 24 with only four zeros. For example, 0 - 0 - 0 + 24 = 24. This means subtracting two zeros from 24 and then adding another 24.

5. Can you use exponents to get 24 with only four zeros?

Yes, you can use exponents to get 24 with only four zeros. One example is: 0^4 x 24 = 24. This means raising zero to the fourth power and then multiplying it by 24 to get the desired result.