Brain Teaser #93: Solve the Chessboard Knight's Puzzle

• Thread starter davilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the greatest number of knights that can be placed on a chessboard without attacking or defending each other is 48, assuming that pieces cannot attack those of the same color. However, this number decreases to 32 if the pieces can also not defend each other. The situation is similar to the eight queens problem, but a simpler version for those with brain spasms.
davilla
Brain Thumper #7

What is the greatest number of knights that can be placed on a chessboard such that no two pieces are in a position to attack each other? Please provide your solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
48 if you asssume that pieces can not attack those of the same color.

I have a feeling you're not assuming that though.

Njorl

edit - wait, I think I have a better way.

Hmm, you might mean it the way I stated after all.

2nd edit. No, I was a fool. If that were the case you could put 64!

D'oh

Last edited:
Njorl said:
48 if you asssume that pieces can not attack those of the same color.
Wow, that was a fast response! But no, I meant attack or defend. This is analogous to the eight queens problem.

32, cover one color completely.
Njorl

davilla said:
This is analogous to the eight queens problem.
Except that it's the toddler version, for creators with brain spasms.

Next time I'll let Njorl come up with the chess problems.

What is Brain Teaser #93: Solve the Chessboard Knight's Puzzle?

Brain Teaser #93: Solve the Chessboard Knight's Puzzle is a logic puzzle that involves moving a knight chess piece around a chessboard in such a way that it visits every square exactly once.

How many moves does it take to solve the Chessboard Knight's Puzzle?

The minimum number of moves to solve the Chessboard Knight's Puzzle is 64 (one move per square on the chessboard), but it is possible to solve it in more moves depending on the starting position of the knight.

What is the strategy for solving the Chessboard Knight's Puzzle?

The strategy for solving the Chessboard Knight's Puzzle is to start with the knight in one corner of the chessboard and move it in an L-shaped pattern, making sure to never visit the same square twice. This strategy will eventually lead to a solution with the minimum number of moves.

Is there more than one solution to the Chessboard Knight's Puzzle?

Yes, there are multiple solutions to the Chessboard Knight's Puzzle. As long as the knight visits every square exactly once, the puzzle is considered solved.

Why is the Chessboard Knight's Puzzle considered a brain teaser?

The Chessboard Knight's Puzzle is considered a brain teaser because it requires logical thinking, problem-solving skills, and spatial reasoning to solve. It is a challenging puzzle that can be solved in multiple ways, making it a fun and engaging activity for the brain.