Brain Teaser: Solve Chocolate Bar Puzzle in Min Breaks

In summary, a friend is struggling to figure out the minimum number of breaks needed to split a chocolate bar into individual blocks, without visiting a third side. The obvious solution is w+m-2, but there may be a shorter answer. The specific formula is 9-1 + 6-1, but it can be generalized as w-1 + m-1. The thickness of the bar is unknown.
fernanroy
A friend of mine is really pulling my chain. He said the answer to this was right in front of me. I doubt that! Does anyone have an idea on this?

"I have a bar of chocolate 6 blocks wide by 9 blocks long and I want to split it into its individual blocks making the smallest number of breaks that I can. The breaks that I am allowed to make start on one side and finish on a different side without visiting a third side.

How many breaks must I make?

Can you generalize your answer bard that are to w blocks wide and m blocks long?"

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see. The obvious answer is 13, or w+m-2. I'm sure there's a shorter answer. That's the upper limit.

Thank You!

DaveC426913 said:
Let's see. The obvious answer is 13, or w+m-2. I'm sure there's a shorter answer. That's the upper limit.

Makes sense now that I look at it! Would you elaborate w+m-2?

fernanroy said:
Would you elaborate w+m-2?
To break something into 6 pieces, you to need to make 5 breaks.

So, specifically: 9-1 + 6-1, or generally: w-1 + m-1.

DaveC426913 said:
To break something into 6 pieces, you to need to make 5 breaks.

So, specifically: 9-1 + 6-1, or generally: w-1 + m-1.

YES! Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

Hmm, what about breaking it then stacking it and breaking it again? How thick is this bar?

1. How does the chocolate bar puzzle work?

The chocolate bar puzzle involves breaking a chocolate bar into smaller pieces in order to ultimately create a specific shape or design. The challenge is to do so in the minimum number of breaks.

2. What is the best strategy for solving the chocolate bar puzzle?

The best strategy for solving the chocolate bar puzzle is to approach it systematically. Start by breaking the chocolate bar in half, then work on creating smaller and smaller pieces until you can piece together the desired shape or design.

3. Is it possible to solve the chocolate bar puzzle in fewer than the minimum number of breaks?

No, the minimum number of breaks is the most efficient way to solve the puzzle. Any fewer breaks would not be possible without breaking the rules of the puzzle.

4. How can the chocolate bar puzzle help improve cognitive function?

The chocolate bar puzzle can help improve cognitive function by challenging problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It also requires spatial awareness and creativity to find the most efficient solution.

5. Are there any variations of the chocolate bar puzzle?

Yes, there are many variations of the chocolate bar puzzle. Some may involve different shapes or designs to create, while others may have different rules or restrictions in terms of how the chocolate bar can be broken. There are also variations that involve multiple layers or chocolate bars to be broken.