Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brain Teaser with Answer Unknown

1. Dec 19, 2005 #1
    I was looking through some old exams for my engineering class and uncovered the following question....

If you would like to know the answer please scroll down and highlight the text

But I don't have any clue how to get it. If anyone can figure it out that would be great... thx

-tom

Answer: E

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2005 #2
    Your answer is showing.

Unfortunately I have never been very good at these sorts of problems so I don't really have anything else to offer.
    ---edit---
    It looks like Greg may have changed the background colour.

4. Dec 19, 2005 #3
    Sorry it doesn't show on the old forum at least for me... I still have it set up for the old school view...

so far all i got is the difference between
    8-13 is 5
    13-28 is 15
    and 28-8 is 20

working on this idea.

5. Dec 19, 2005 #4
    I have also found another thing that may help

the problem is 2 dimensional linear equations

6. Dec 20, 2005 #5
    y can't I see the question? :)

7. Dec 20, 2005 #6
    If the equation is linear, then in my opinion, there is a typo in the question. Perhaps it should read:

Input A: {1, 0, 1, 1, ...}
    Input B: {0, 1, 1, 10, ...}

Output: {8, 13, 28, 208, ... }

If this is the case, the linear equation is f = -7 + 15 * a + 20 * b. Then the inputs a = 10, b = 0 would produce the output f = -7 + 15 * 10 = 143. Since this is not one of the first 4 choices, the answer is E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?