1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brain Teaser

1. Jul 26, 2010 #1
    Friend sent me this and I can't figure it out for sure. I think the answer is the Brits. Tell me what you think it is.

There are 5 houses in a row, and in five different colors. In each house lives a person from a different country. Each person drinks a certain drink, plays a certain game, and keeps a certain pet. No two people drink the same drink, play the same game or have the same pet.
    1. The Brit lives in a red house.
    2. The Swede keeps dogs.
    3. The Dane drinks tea.
    4. The green house is on the left of the white house.
    5. The green house owner drinks coffee.
    6. The person who plays tennis rears birds.
    7. The owner of the yellow house plays chess.
    8. The man living in the house right in the center drinks milk.
    9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
    10. The man who plays poker lives next to the man who keeps cats.
    11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who plays chess.
    12. The man who plays billiards drinks beer.
    13. The German plays golf.
    14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
    15. The man who plays poker has a neighbor who drinks water.

Question: Who owns the fish?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2
    Make a table, fill out what you can.

Each column of your table will be missing 2 facts that are associated with that column. Just plug them in and you're done, as the missing facts are already assigned to some of the traits that exist within that column.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  4. Jul 27, 2010 #3
    It's the German. First of all, this is the Einsten quiz, so the German might be a hint. Second of all, if you work it out, it's simple.

5. Aug 3, 2010 #4
    I also worked it out an got that the German owns the fish.

6. Aug 3, 2010 #5
    This is kind of like an early Sudoku puzzle. If you make a grid, each piece of information has one and only one possible location on the grid. You don't need to make any guesses. Just figure out what must go where.

7. Aug 16, 2010 #6
    I too worked out, and found out that German owns fish.

8. Aug 19, 2010 #7
    I read on a website saying that the answer is that you have no idea if anyone keeps the fish or not.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook