Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Brain Usage

1. Feb 4, 2006 #1
    I wondering why the brain is the orgna that uses the most power of our bodies. I recently saw this. It says that the brain is the highest user of energy throughout our body,but how?

The muscles kidneys, or digestive system I'd think. What is it that the brain does that uses so much power.?

If thatthe case why don't we sit down and think iinstead of excercising. I would burn more fat it seems.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2
    Well, I sure ain't no expert in this but, I think the brain is indeed the the organ that uses much more power then any other organ in our body. Do to that the brain is the organ that performs an incredible number of task such as: Body temperture,blood presure, heart rate and breathing. It accepts a flood of information about the world around you from your various senses (eyes, ears, nose etc.). It handles physical motion when walking, talking, standing or sitting. It lets you think, dream, reason and experience emotions etc. So, we can only imagine the energy needed from the brain to perform all those task.

Galaxy33

4. Feb 8, 2006 #3

Mk

I'm trying to remember, but I think the brain uses the most of the body's caloric input. Next is the heart, and lungs, liver, and kidneys go somewhere under there. The heart and brain use somewhere around 22%. I'll check though.

5. Feb 8, 2006 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I was just at the Body World exhibit. The brain is only 2% of the body's masss, but uses 20% of the oxygen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?