Solving for Braking Car Problem: Acceleration and Stopping Time Calculation

In summary, when a car traveling at a speed of 59 m/s stops smoothly over a distance of 166 m, its acceleration is -10.5 m/s^2 and it takes 5.6 seconds to stop. However, when asked for its speed after traveling 1/3 of the stopping distance, using the formula v^2=u^2+2as with v=59 m/s and a=-10.5 m/s^2 is incorrect because it assumes a linear relationship between time and distance. Instead, the correct approach is to use the formula vf=vi+at with vf=39.4 m/s, vi=59 m/s, and t=5.6/3 seconds, resulting in a final
jhson114
A car traveling at a speed of vo = 59 m/s stops smoothly (that is, its deceleration is constant) over a distance of d = 166 m.

There are 3 parts to this quetions.
1. what is its acceleration during the time it is stopping
2. how long does it take for the car to stop
3. after the car has gone 1/3 of the stopping distance what is its speed

i have answered the first two questions, but i can't answer the last question.
i got -10.5 m/s^2 and 5.6 seconds for first two answer. to get third answer i simply did Vf = Vi + A*deltaT which came out Vf = 59-10.5(5.6/3) = 39.4
first two answers are correct but the third one is wrong. can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot divide 5.6/3 just because the distance is one-third of d because we have an acceleration in this case. instead, use [tex] v^2=u^2+2as[/tex].

but since the acceleration is constant, i thought i could do it that way.

what is "u" and "s"? v is velocity, a is acceleration

Ok, you are assuming that the time taken to travel a third of the distance equals a third of the time taken to travel the whole distance.
This is incorrect; that assumes a linear relationship between time passed and distance travelled.
What formulas do you think might help you?

the v2=u2+2as probably helps, but i don't know what u and s stands for.

okay. i figured it out. thanks guys :)

1. What is the formula for calculating a car's braking distance?

The formula for calculating a car's braking distance is d = v2 / 2a, where d is the braking distance, v is the initial velocity, and a is the deceleration rate.

2. How do you calculate a car's deceleration rate?

The deceleration rate can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can also be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the deceleration rate, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken to stop.

3. How does the weight of a car affect its braking distance?

The weight of a car does have an impact on its braking distance. A heavier car will require more force to stop, meaning it will take longer to come to a complete stop compared to a lighter car. However, other factors such as tire quality, road conditions, and braking system also play a role in determining the braking distance.

4. Can you calculate the stopping distance of a car without knowing its initial velocity?

No, the stopping distance cannot be accurately calculated without knowing the initial velocity of the car. The initial velocity is a crucial part of the formula for calculating braking distance and without it, the calculation would be incomplete.

5. How can a car's braking distance be reduced?

A car's braking distance can be reduced by improving its braking system, such as using better quality brake pads and rotors. Additionally, regularly maintaining and replacing worn tires can also improve a car's braking distance. Safe driving practices, such as leaving enough space between cars and anticipating stops, can also help reduce braking distance.