Understanding Braking Distance: Weight & Slide to Stop Time

• Thread starter curiousguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Braking
In summary, when slamming the brakes on a car, the weight of the car is not a factor in the "slide to stop" time because both the inertia and deceleration force are proportional to the car's mass. This is because the first is ma and the second is weight times coefficient of friction k, or mgk. When equating the two, the mass cancels out, resulting in a deceleration of gk. Therefore, the weight of the car does not affect the time it takes for the car to come to a stop.
curiousguy
I haven't taken physics in my college curriculum yet, so could someone help me understand why when slamming the brakes on my car, the weight of my car isn't a factor in the "slide to stop" time? Assuming I am not pulling weight behind me (trailor or something) and I have no collision with anything inbetween slamming on the brakes and stopping. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason is that the both the inertia and the deceleration force are proportional to the car's mass. The first is ma, and the second is weight times coefficient of friction k, or mgk. Equate the two and the mass cancels. Deceleration a is equal to gk. C'est tout.

1. What is braking distance?

Braking distance is the distance it takes for a vehicle to come to a complete stop after the brakes are applied. It is affected by a variety of factors, including the weight of the vehicle and the road conditions.

2. How does weight affect braking distance?

The heavier a vehicle is, the longer its braking distance will be. This is because a heavier vehicle has more momentum and requires more force to slow down and stop. As a result, heavier vehicles need more time and distance to come to a complete stop.

3. What is the formula for calculating braking distance?

The formula for calculating braking distance is: Braking distance = (initial speed)^2 / (2 x deceleration). This formula takes into account the initial speed of the vehicle and the rate at which it decelerates when the brakes are applied.

4. How does slide to stop time impact braking distance?

Slide to stop time refers to the amount of time it takes for a vehicle to stop after its wheels have stopped rotating and are sliding on the road surface. This time can increase the overall braking distance, as the vehicle is not only relying on the friction between the wheels and the road to slow down, but also on the friction between the sliding wheels and the road.

5. What are some tips for reducing braking distance?

Some tips for reducing braking distance include maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, regularly checking and maintaining your brakes, and avoiding sudden and excessive braking. Additionally, driving at a reasonable speed and being aware of road conditions can also help to decrease braking distance.