Calculus Problem: Braking Distance for Initial Speed 4v

In summary, the braking distance for an automobile with initial speed v is d. If the initial speed of the automobile is 4v, then the braking distance is 4(v0t+at2/2)+c.
Shinaolord

Homework Statement

The braking distance for an automobile with initial speed v is d. What is the braking distance if the initial speed of the automobile is 4v? Assume the automobile experiences the same constant acceleration in each case.

Homework Equations

v=v0 + at
Δd = ∫v dt = v0t + at2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I know that the speed 4v is going to replace v0, yielding
∫4v dt = 4∫v dt = 4(v0t + at2/2) +c, where c can be considered d=0.
This is where I need some assistance. I'm not entirely sure what the next step I should take to solve the equation.
Could it possibly be that we isolate v, and then compute? I'm really confused on this question.
By the way, this is from an exam from my college used several years ago, they are now used as practice exams.

EDIT: Could it possibly be as simple as 4d? I have severe doubts that this is definitely not the right answer, and I'm worried that I haven't' developed the intuition to solve these problems yet...With exams starting The week of the 15th

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Possibly, 4v= 1/2 at2?
[STRIKE]than √8v/a = t1

compared to √2v/a= t2

and then plug these into the kinematic equation for distance?

:cry:[/STRIKE]

I retract this statement.

Last edited:
You could actually solve this using the d = v0t +(1/2)at2, along with some other substitutions. But that's not the easiest way. As a matter of fact, that way wouldn't be very easy at all (although technically possible).

Why not start with a different kinematics equation for uniform acceleration. For this problem you are not interested in time, t, so you really don't need an equation that has t in it.

But can you find a kinematics equation for uniform acceleration that has velocity (initial and final), acceleration and distance in it? :wink:

By the way,

If you don't know which equation that I'm talking about, you could find it by starting with your
v = v0 + at
equation, solve for t and substitute that into the
d = v0t + (1/2)at2
equation. So it is possible with the equations that you already have.

You can alternatively derive the equation for which I speak by using the work-energy theorem.
The work done for a single, constant force (which implies uniform acceleration, since F = ma) over a distance, d, is W = Fd
The change in kinetic energy is (1/2)mv2 - (1/2)mv02.
(equate the two and cancel out the ms).

My apologies, I fell asleep, and with your suggestions I would now start with
vf2 =v02+2aΔx

I will chug the numbers tomorrow, I'm to tired and will most likely make a mistake.

What is braking speed?

Braking speed is the rate at which a vehicle or object can decelerate to come to a complete stop.

What factors affect braking speed?

The main factors that affect braking speed include the mass of the object, the friction between the object and the surface it is moving on, and the force applied to the brakes.

How is braking speed calculated?

Braking speed can be calculated using the formula: Braking speed = (initial velocity)^2 / 2 * deceleration. Deceleration can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the brakes by the mass of the object.

How does braking distance relate to braking speed?

Braking distance is the distance a vehicle or object travels while decelerating to a complete stop. It is directly related to braking speed, as the faster the object is moving, the longer the braking distance will be.

Why is it important to consider braking speed?

It is important to consider braking speed in order to ensure the safety of both the driver and others on the road. A longer braking speed can result in a longer stopping distance, increasing the risk of accidents. Understanding and optimizing braking speed can also improve the efficiency and performance of vehicles and machinery.