Branch cut of the principle value log

In summary, the branch points of g(z) are 0, 1, -1, and infinity. The branch cuts are defined as the points z such that the argument of g(z) is in the interval (-π, π]. This gives the branch cuts as (-∞, -1), (-1, 0), (0, 1), and (1, ∞). However, since the argument of infinity is not well-defined, the branch cut at infinity is considered to be the entire complex plane minus the point (0,1).
bmxicle

Homework Statement

Find the branch points of g(z) = log(z(z+1)/(z-1)) and defining a branch of g as the principle branch of the logarithm find the location of the branch cuts.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [tex] g(z) = log(z) + log(z+1) - log(z-1) [/tex] the branch points are 0, 1, -1 and infinity.

To find the branch cuts we need to find where the argument is [tex] arg(z) \in (-\pi,\pi] [/tex]

putting each branch point into polar coordinates gives:
[tex] z1 = r_1e^{i\theta_1} [/tex]
[tex] z2 = r_2e^{i\theta_2} -1 [/tex]
[tex] z3 = r_3e^{i\theta_3} +1[/tex]
[tex] z = ln(\left|{\dfrac{r_1 r_2}{r_3}}\right|) +i(\theta_1 + \theta_2- \theta_3) [/tex]

let [tex] c = ln(\left|{\dfrac{r_1 r_2}{r_3}}\right|) [/tex] and then:

[tex] (-\infty, -1) \Rightarrow g(z) = c + \pi i [/tex]
[tex] (-1, 0) \Rightarrow g(z) = c + 2\pi i [/tex]
[tex] (0, 1) \Rightarrow g(z) = c + \pi i [/tex]
[tex] (1, \infty) \Rightarrow g(z) = c [/tex]

So this gives [tex] (0, 1) [/tex] as the point where the branch cut isn't defined, but the solution I was given says that [tex] (1, \infty) [/tex] is also not defined, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org

One possible explanation could be that the branch cut for the branch point at infinity is actually defined as the entire complex plane, since the argument of infinity is not well-defined. Therefore, the branch cut would be the entire complex plane minus the point (0,1). This would make sense since the function g(z) would have a singularity at infinity, so the branch cut would have to include that point.

1. What is a branch cut of the principle value log?

The branch cut of the principle value log is a mathematical concept used in complex analysis. It is a line or curve on a complex plane where the function is discontinuous and its value changes abruptly. It is represented as a dashed line on the complex plane.

2. Why is a branch cut necessary for the principle value log?

A branch cut is necessary for the principle value log because the logarithm function is multivalued on the complex plane. This means that for a given complex number, there can be multiple values for its logarithm. The branch cut helps to define a specific range of values for the logarithm function, making it a single-valued function.

3. How is the branch cut of the principle value log determined?

The branch cut of the principle value log is determined by the choice of the branch point. The branch point is a specific complex number on the complex plane where the function is discontinuous. The branch cut is then drawn from the branch point to infinity in a direction that ensures the function is continuous on either side of the cut.

4. What is the significance of the branch cut in complex analysis?

The branch cut plays a crucial role in complex analysis as it helps to define the behavior of multivalued functions. It allows us to choose a specific range of values for the function, making it well-defined and continuous. The branch cut also helps to simplify complex calculations and makes it easier to analyze the behavior of the function.

5. Can the branch cut of the principle value log be moved or changed?

Yes, the branch cut of the principle value log can be moved or changed by choosing a different branch point. However, the new branch cut must still follow the rules of continuity and single-valuedness. Changing the branch cut may also affect the behavior of the function, so it is important to carefully select the branch point.