Find Continuity of f_α Along Negative X-Axis

• Thread starter Samuelb88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Branch
In summary, the task is to find a branch of the function w=z^{1/2} that is continuous along the negative x-axis. The book proves that the principle square root function, which is defined as |z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i \sin(\theta/2) \big) for -\pi < \theta \leq \pi, is discontinuous along this axis. To solve this, a new branch of the square root function, f_\alpha (z) = |z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i\sin(\theta/2) \big) is defined, where \alpha
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

Find a branch of [itex]w=z^{1/2}[/itex] which is continuous along the negative x-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

The book proves that the principle square root function [itex]|z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i \sin(\theta/2) \big)[/itex], where [itex]-\pi < \theta \leq \pi[/itex] is discontinuous along the negative x-axis.

I've defined a new branch of the square root function [itex]f_\alpha (z) = |z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i\sin(\theta/2) \big)[/itex], where [itex]\alpha < \theta \leq \alpha + 2\pi[/itex]. I know the principle square root function is discontinuous along the negative x-axis because the limit as the principle square root function is path dependent as [itex](r,\theta)[/itex] approaches an arbitrary negative number [itex]r_0 e^{i \theta_0}[/itex]. What's the best way to proceed from here? Should I choose an [itex]\alpha[/itex] such that [itex]f_\alpha[/itex] can only approach the negative x-axis one way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Samuelb88 said:

Homework Statement

Find a branch of [itex]w=z^{1/2}[/itex] which is continuous along the negative x-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

The book proves that the principle square root function [itex]|z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i \sin(\theta/2) \big)[/itex], where [itex]-\pi < \theta \leq \pi[/itex] is discontinuous along the negative x-axis.

I've defined a new branch of the square root function [itex]f_\alpha (z) = |z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i\sin(\theta/2) \big)[/itex], where [itex]\alpha < \theta \leq \alpha + 2\pi[/itex]. I know the principle square root function is discontinuous along the negative x-axis because the limit as the principle square root function is path dependent as [itex](r,\theta)[/itex] approaches an arbitrary negative number [itex]r_0 e^{i \theta_0}[/itex]. What's the best way to proceed from here? Should I choose an [itex]\alpha[/itex] such that [itex]f_\alpha[/itex] can only approach the negative x-axis one way?

There's a lot of choices for alpha. Why not pick alpha=0? Where is the discontinuity now?

Along the positive x-axis. I understand how I should approach the problem now. Nonetheless, thank you for your help! My book hid the fact that branches are discontinuous along their branch cuts at the end of an example.

What does it mean to find continuity of f_α along negative x-axis?

Continuity of f_α along negative x-axis refers to the ability of a function to have a smooth and unbroken graph when approaching the negative x-axis from the left side. This means that there are no abrupt jumps or breaks in the graph and the function is defined at every point on the negative x-axis.

Why is it important to find continuity of f_α along negative x-axis?

Continuity of a function along the negative x-axis is important because it ensures that the function behaves predictably and can be analyzed and manipulated mathematically. It also allows for the function to be used in various applications and models without any unexpected disruptions or errors.

How do you determine if a function is continuous along the negative x-axis?

To determine if a function is continuous along the negative x-axis, you can use the definition of continuity which states that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function as x approaches that point from both the left and right sides is equal to the function value at that point. If this condition is met for all points on the negative x-axis, then the function is continuous along that axis.

What are some common examples of functions that are continuous along the negative x-axis?

Linear functions, quadratic functions, and polynomial functions are all examples of functions that are continuous along the negative x-axis. Exponential and logarithmic functions are also continuous along the negative x-axis, as well as trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

What are some common examples of functions that are not continuous along the negative x-axis?

Functions with sharp corners or vertical asymptotes, such as absolute value functions or reciprocal functions, are not continuous along the negative x-axis. Piecewise functions with different definitions for the left and right sides of the negative x-axis may also not be continuous along that axis.