1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Branch of z^{1/2}

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a branch of [itex]w=z^{1/2}[/itex] which is continuous along the negative x-axis.

3. The attempt at a solution

The book proves that the principle square root function [itex]|z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i \sin(\theta/2) \big)[/itex], where [itex]-\pi < \theta \leq \pi[/itex] is discontinuous along the negative x-axis.

I've defined a new branch of the square root function [itex]f_\alpha (z) = |z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i\sin(\theta/2) \big)[/itex], where [itex]\alpha < \theta \leq \alpha + 2\pi[/itex]. I know the principle square root function is discontinuous along the negative x-axis because the limit as the principle square root function is path dependent as [itex](r,\theta)[/itex] approaches an arbitrary negative number [itex]r_0 e^{i \theta_0}[/itex]. What's the best way to proceed from here? Should I choose an [itex]\alpha[/itex] such that [itex]f_\alpha[/itex] can only approach the negative x-axis one way?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a lot of choices for alpha. Why not pick alpha=0? Where is the discontinuity now?

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    Along the positive x-axis. I understand how I should approach the problem now. Nonetheless, thank you for your help! My book hid the fact that branches are discontinuous along their branch cuts at the end of an example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook