1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Branch points and branch cuts

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,

I need to find the branch cut of the function f(z) = Log[z^2 +9] where the negative real axis has been removed from the domain of the log function. Now this is the bit that confuses me, is this saying that we must ensure that no negative real components enter the argument of the log function or is it saying theyre not part of the domain dont worry about them?

Anyway, i factor it out and you get f(z) = log(z+3i)+log(z-3i). My understanding is the branch cut is the line segment(s) on which the function is discontinuous, so are we just saying that the imaginary part of z must be >3i or <-3i ? I'm a bit confoosed =(

Cheers
    -G

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

The angle the branch cut makes with the negative real axis is not always 0, is it plum?

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3

Avodyne

Science Advisor

No
    Yes. So, this means that the branch cut of log(z) lies on the negative real axis. And that means that the branch cut of log(z^2+9) lies ... where?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?