1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Branch points and branch cuts

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    Hello.

The following function [itex]\Omega = [x^2 + y^2 + (z - ia)^2]^{1/2}[/itex] has the following branch points:
    [itex] z_1 = i (a + \lambda), z_2 = i (a - \lambda) [/itex] where [itex] \lambda^2 = x^2 + y^2 [/itex].
    Now I do not understand the theory about branch cuts. It is said in the paper I read: "We make cuts on the imaginary z axis from [itex] z_1 [/itex] up to [itex] z = i\infty [/itex] and from [itex] z_2 [/itex] down to [itex] z = -i\infty [/itex]". OK. Now, let's consider the case [itex] \lambda < a [/itex]. Then the lower branch line crosses the real z axis. What I do not understand is that
    [itex]\Omega^- = -\Omega^+ , z=0 [/itex]
    where [itex]\Omega^- [/itex] denotes the value of the radical for [itex] z = 0^- [/itex] and [itex]\Omega^+ [/itex] for [itex] z = 0^+ [/itex]. (By the way, what is 'radical'?) They further wrote that
    [itex] \Omega^+ = [\lambda^2 + (-ia)^2]^{1/2} = -i(a^2-\lambda^2)^{1/2} [/itex]. How they calculated that? When I tried to calculate that I got +i instead of -i for the prefactor.
    I thought that that lower branch cut means that the angle is from the interval [itex] (-\pi/2,3/2\pi) [/itex] and so
    [itex] \Omega^+ = [\lambda^2 + (\epsilon -ia)^2]^{1/2} = [\lambda^2 -a^2 + \epsilon^2 - 2\epsilon ai]^{1/2} = [a^2 - \lambda^2]^{1/2} e^{i\pi/2} = [a^2 - \lambda^2]^{1/2} i[/itex] which is wrong.

Any help much appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted