1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Branch Rule problem

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    How do you do this problem? I've seen other branch problems where you just give + sign for current entering and - leaving and the unknown is gonna make it equal 0, but what do you do in this case?

http://focusedwolf.googlepages.com/branch.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are there arrows to go with all the numbers? I think you need directions on all of them.

4. Nov 2, 2006 #3
    no, infact thats a scan of a practice/old exam question...nothing like it in my physics book or homework :rofl:

5. Nov 3, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I did not check the multiple choice answers. I suppose it is possible only one of them is a possible solution using all the different possible current directions. I think the maximum possible current would be with all inward currents (except the ammeter)

I = [10 + 4 + 4 + 5 + 8 - 3] = 28 A

and that is too much (28*60) = 1680

Any of the blue numbers could have the opposite sign. Changing the 4 to -4 gives 1200. I did not try the other possibilies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?