Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Branching fraction

1. Jan 9, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I found that the branching fraction ## b \to s \gamma ## decay is given by
    ## B \to K \gamma ## ~ 10^-4 , but now I want to know if I calculate the decay width of ## b \to s \gamma ##, what it should equals ? In other words I don't understand what does a branching fraction mean ..

Bests.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2015 #2
    The branching fraction of a certain decay ##A\to B+C## is simply defined as:

$$
    \mathcal{BR}(A\to B+C)=\frac{\Gamma(A\to B+C)}{\Gamma^{tot}_A},
    $$

where ##\Gamma_A^{tot}## is the total width of the particle A.

4. Jan 9, 2015 #3
    So the branching fraction is the same as the branching ratio.

But now what is the decay width of ## b \to s \gamma ##, if the b→sγ branching fraction has been calculated to be
    ## B \to K \gamma ## ~ 10^-4 ?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  5. Jan 10, 2015 #4
    You simply have to multiply the branching fraction (or ratio) by the total width of the B meson.

6. Jan 10, 2015 #5
    I found in PDG that the mean life time of ## B_0 ## is ~ 10^-12 s, so its total decay width ## \Gamma = h / 2 \pi \tau ## ~ 10^-25 GeV.s. / 10^-12 s ~ 10^-13 GeV . Which means the partial decay width of s ## \gamma ## will be ~ 10^-17 GeV .

7. Jan 10, 2015 #6
    I think your calculation is wrong. The Plank constant is ##\hbar \simeq 6.58\times 10^{-16} eV\cdot s## and I would say:

$$
    \Gamma=\frac{\hbar}{\tau}\simeq6.6\times10^{-4} \;eV.
    $$

To be fair I don't know if this is a reasonable value for the total width but I think so. Anyways, in this case you obtain the partial width to be ##\sim10^{-8}\;eV##

8. Jan 10, 2015 #7
    Which means the partial width ~ ## 10^{-17} GeV ## ..

The problem is I calculate this width by FormCalc and LoopTools and I get it much larger !

9. Jan 10, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is "much larger"? Factor 10? 10 orders of magnitude?
    Is the result given in GeV or eV?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook