Understanding Branching Fraction: Ra-226 Example

• I
  • Thread starter leoneul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the concept of branching fraction can be difficult to understand, but it is essentially a ratio that represents the probability of a certain decay channel occurring. In the example of Ra-226 decaying through alpha decay, the branching fraction for the excited state of Rn-222 is 5.4%, while the branching fraction for the ground state is 94.6%. This means that out of an initial 1 million Ra-226 nuclei, after 1602 years, approximately 27,000 alpha particles will have been emitted through the excited state channel, while 473,000 alpha particles will have been emitted through the ground state channel. However, this is a theoretical calculation and would require an infinite amount of time to actually observe
leoneul
I’ve had huge difficulty understanding/interpreting the concept of branching fraction. So correct me if I’m wrong please:
Let’s take the decay of Ra-226 with half-life of 1602 years as an example. It decays through alpha 1 chanel to the excited state of Rn-222 with E=0,187 Mev ( branching fraction 5,4%) and through alpha 2 decay chanel to the ground state of Rn-222 ( Branching fraction 94,6%).

Now my understanding/interpretation :
If we have for example 10^6 Ra-226 nuclides at t=0 , then after 1602 years have passed , 0.054 * ( 10^6 / 2 )=27000 of alpha1 particles and (10^6/2)- 27000=527000 alpah 2 particles will have emitted.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello leoneul, :welcome:

Idea's good, math is not : (10^6/2)- 27000=473000 :wink:

Likes leoneul
BvU said:
Hello leoneul, :welcome:

Idea's good, math is not : (10^6/2)- 27000=473000 :wink:
hehe thanks alot! This simple concept has been causing so much trouble bcs some sources refers to the branching ratio as “ probability” which confused me

For anyone atom the branching ratio reflects the probabilities for the channels. Don't overthink!

Likes leoneul
mathman said:
For anyone atom the branching ratio reflects the probabilities for the channels. Don't overthink!
So for my example the probability that a certain SINGLE Ra-226 nucleus decays through alpha 1 channel is 5.4% but if we have an ENSEMBLE of Ra-226, then 5.4 % will decay through chanel 1. Correct?

Again, ideas correct. This time the wording could be a bit sharper by expressing it as a ratio $${\alpha_1\ {\rm decays} \over {\rm total \ decays}} \times 100 \;\%$$ however, litterally taken what you write is correct (but you have to wait infinitely long ...)

Likes leoneul
BvU said:
Again, ideas correct. This time the wording could be a bit sharper by expressing it as a ratio $${\alpha_1\ {\rm decays} \over {\rm total \ decays}} \times 100 \;\%$$ however, litterally taken what you write is correct (but you have to wait infinitely long ...)
Understood. Thank you very much!

1. What is branching fraction?

Branching fraction is a measure of the probability that a specific decay mode will occur in a radioactive decay process. It is expressed as a fraction or percentage and represents the ratio of the number of decays that occur through a particular decay mode to the total number of decays.

2. How is branching fraction calculated?

Branching fraction is calculated by dividing the number of decays that occur through a specific decay mode by the total number of decays. This number is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage. For example, if out of 100 decays, 20 occur through a specific decay mode, the branching fraction would be 20/100 = 0.2 or 20%.

3. Why is branching fraction important?

Branching fraction is important because it provides information about the stability and decay behavior of a radioactive element. It helps scientists understand the relative likelihood of a particular decay mode occurring and can be used to predict the future behavior of a radioactive sample.

4. How does branching fraction relate to half-life?

Branching fraction and half-life are inversely related. A higher branching fraction for a specific decay mode means that decay mode is more likely to occur, and therefore the half-life for that decay mode will be shorter. Similarly, a lower branching fraction means that decay mode is less likely to occur, and the half-life will be longer.

5. Can branching fraction change over time?

Yes, branching fraction can change over time. It is affected by factors such as the energy of the decaying nucleus, the presence of other particles, and the environment in which the decay is occurring. These factors can alter the probability of a specific decay mode occurring and therefore affect the branching fraction.