Brans-Dicke Action: Exploring the Metric Components

• I
  • Thread starter Apashanka
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, the metric would be a function of space if the metric were a function of time, or vice versa. But the metric is not a function of time or space.
Apashanka
The brans-dicke action is
IMG_20190214_125229.jpg

We have R which contains second order derivative in space and time of the metric components and product of first order derivatives in space and time of the metric components .
The second term in the figure also contains product of first order derivatives in space and time of the scaler field Φ(x,t).
To make it dimensionally consistent if we consider that the metric components gij vary over space, but how can be it is a function of time??
It is only if the space is curved for which locally the metric components gij doesn't vary locally but on a large scale (globally)on the manifold it varies (e.g gij(x) and if the space is expanding e.g gij(t) .
Is it so??

Attachments

• IMG_20190214_125229.jpg
    IMG_20190214_125229.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 799
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apashanka said:
how can be it is a function of time??

What, the scalar field? Why do you think it can't be a function of time?

PeterDonis said:
What, the scalar field? Why do you think it can't be a function of time?
No the metric elements gij

Apashanka said:
No the metric elements gij

Ok, why do you think those can't be functions of time?

PeterDonis said:
Ok, why do you think those can't be functions of time?
Actually I am thinking if the space is curved then locally they (gij)doesnt vary with space (since locally we can assume the space to be flat) but globally they will vary with space(e.g gij=gij(x))and also if the space expands then only gij(t) hence as a whole for curved and expanding space gij(x,t) .
Is it so??
If so then only , as the second term in the figure contains product of first order derivative in space and time of Φ(x,t) and R contains second order derivative and product of first order derivative in space and time of gij(x,t) they will be dimensionally consistent .
Am I right?!

Apashanka said:
if the space is curved then locally they (gij)doesnt vary with space (since locally we can assume the space to be flat) but globally they will vary with space(e.g gij=gij(x))

Yes, but you should be saying spacetime is curved, not just space. Globally ##g_{\mu \nu}## can vary with both space and time (and the split between "space" and "time" is not invariant anyway, so pure variation in "space" in one frame will be variation in both "space" and "time" in another frame).

Apashanka said:
if the space expands then only gij(t)

If you are thinking of a particular spacetime, such as the FRW spacetimes, which can be described as having expanding space, yes, in those particular spacetimes, you can find coordinates in which the metric only varies with time (not space). But only in those particular spacetimes. Brans-Dicke theory, if it were correct, would have to apply to all spacetimes, just like standard GR does.

Also, even in those particular coordinates in those particular spacetimes, the metric is a function of time, but it's not a function of space. But you were arguing that the metric should be a function of space but not time. So I don't understand what argument you are trying to make.

Apashanka said:
If so then only , as the second term in the figure contains product of first order derivative in space and time of Φ(x,t) and R contains second order derivative and product of first order derivative in space and time of gij(x,t) they will be dimensionally consistent

I don't understand. Why do you think this would rule out the metric being a function of time? Or of space, if that's what you're trying to argue?

PeterDonis said:
Yes, but you should be saying spacetime is curved, not just space. Globally ##g_{\mu \nu}## can vary with both space and time (and the split between "space" and "time" is not invariant anyway, so pure variation in "space" in one frame will be variation in both "space" and "time" in another frame).
If you are thinking of a particular spacetime, such as the FRW spacetimes, which can be described as having expanding space, yes, in those particular spacetimes, you can find coordinates in which the metric only varies with time (not space). But only in those particular spacetimes. Brans-Dicke theory, if it were correct, would have to apply to all spacetimes, just like standard GR does.

Also, even in those particular coordinates in those particular spacetimes, the metric is a function of time, but it's not a function of space. But you were arguing that the metric should be a function of space but not time. So I don't understand what argument you are trying to make.
I don't understand. Why do you think this would rule out the metric being a function of time? Or of space, if that's what you're trying to argue?
No I am saying that gij has to be gij(x,t) for which the term containing R and the 2nd term in the Brans-Dicke action would be dimensionally consistent.
Am I right?

haushofer said:
What is "dimensionally consistent"?
What I am trying to say that R contains second order derivative and product of first order derivative in space and time of gij which has to be function of (x,t)
Since the second term in the figure also contains product of first order derivative in space and time of Φ(x,t)

Apashanka said:
I am saying that gij has to be gij(x,t)

Ok, so you're saying the metric is a function of space and time? Of course it is. Why is this even a question?

Apashanka said:
R contains second order derivative and product of first order derivative in space and time of gij which has to be function of (x,t)

Yes.

Apashanka said:
the second term in the figure also contains product of first order derivative in space and time of Φ(x,t)

Yes, it does. So what exactly is your question?

PeterDonis said:
Ok, so you're saying the metric is a function of space and time? Of course it is. Why is this even a question?
Yes.
Yes, it does. So what exactly is your question?
So there is a Φ related to R the first term and ω(Φ)/Φ related to the 2nd term ,now how these two terms are matched dimensionally since R and ∂μΦ∂μΦ(in figure) are matched dimensionally

Apashanka said:
how these two terms are matched dimensionally since R and ∂μΦ∂μΦ(in figure) are matched dimensionally

##R## and ##\partial_\mu \varphi \partial_\mu \varphi## aren't matched dimensionally; they don't have the same units. The things that have the same units are

$$
\varphi R
$$

and

$$
\frac{\omega(\varphi)}{\varphi} g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu \varphi \partial_\nu \varphi
$$

Each term must have units of length to the inverse fourth power (because the integrand as a whole must be dimensionless, and it multiplies each term by ##d^4 x##). We know ##R## has units of inverse length squared. That means ##\varphi## must also have units of inverse length squared. (Note that these are not the usual units for a scalar field.) Each derivative has units of inverse length, so ##\partial_\mu \varphi \partial_\nu \varphi## has units of length to the inverse sixth power, which is not the same as the units of ##R##. This also tells us that ##\omega(\varphi)## must be dimensionless (since ##g^{\mu \nu}## is dimensionless and the factor of ##\varphi## in the denominator of the factor in front of the second term makes the units for that term as a whole work out).

(Note: all this assumes that ##G## as it appears in what you wrote has no units. But ##G## is supposed to be Newton's gravitational constant, in appropriate units, which is not dimensionless. Most presentations that I've seen of Brans-Dicke theory leave out the ##G## altogether for this reason; basically they are taking the field ##\varphi## to substitute for ##G##.)

PeterDonis said:
Each term must have units of length to the inverse fourth power (because the integrand as a whole must be dimensionless, and it multiplies each term by d4x). We know R has units of inverse length squared
If so then how is the dimension in Einstein -hilbert action matched
∫R√|g|d4x??
Implies R has units of inverse length to power 4

Apashanka said:
how is the dimension in Einstein -hilbert action matched

Because you left out the factor of ##1 / 16 \pi G##, which has dimensions of inverse length squared in the Einstein-Hilbert action. (Note that I specifically commented about how ##G## must have different units than it usually does in the version of the Brans-Dicke action that you wrote down.)

PeterDonis said:
Because you left out the factor of ##1 / 16 \pi G##, which has dimensions of inverse length squared in the Einstein-Hilbert action. (Note that I specifically commented about how GG must have different units than it usually does in the version of the Brans-Dicke action that you wrote down.)

See, for example, how the two actions are compared here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brans–Dicke_theory#The_action_principle

1. What is the Brans-Dicke action?

The Brans-Dicke action is a mathematical expression used in the study of general relativity and gravitational theories. It describes the dynamics of the metric components, which are the fundamental quantities that determine the curvature of space-time.

2. Who developed the Brans-Dicke action?

The Brans-Dicke action was developed by two physicists, Robert H. Dicke and Carl H. Brans, in the 1960s. They proposed it as an alternative to Einstein's theory of general relativity, which they believed had limitations.

3. How does the Brans-Dicke action differ from general relativity?

The Brans-Dicke action introduces an additional scalar field, known as the Brans-Dicke field, which interacts with the metric components and affects the curvature of space-time. In contrast, general relativity does not include any scalar fields.

4. What is the significance of exploring the metric components in the Brans-Dicke action?

Exploring the metric components in the Brans-Dicke action allows for a deeper understanding of the dynamics of gravity and the behavior of space-time. It also provides a framework for testing and potentially refining our current understanding of gravity.

5. How is the Brans-Dicke action used in current scientific research?

The Brans-Dicke action is still an active area of research in theoretical physics and cosmology. It has been used to develop alternative theories of gravity, such as scalar-tensor theories, which have been applied to explain phenomena such as dark matter and dark energy.