1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bras and Kets

1. Jul 31, 2008 #1
    I began my physics study about one year ago and learned all of classical mechanics in that year; but I am now studying Quantum Mechanics. The book I'm using (Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics) Introduces Bra-Ket notation in the first chapter rather concisely. I understand the mathematical basis of the Bras and Kets, but what is the physical interpretation of them?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2008 #2
    Its a representation. Why does it need a physical meaning? Maybe a wavefunction, if you consider that physical.

4. Jul 31, 2008 #3
    I suppose I used the wrong word... What does it represent? and how?

5. Jul 31, 2008 #4
    A ket vector describes a system in state space but, like so many things in quantum mechanics, I'm not sure you could attach a 'physical interpretation' to them.

Of course if you wanted, I suppose you could use ket vectors for your usual 3-dimensional mechanics problems in which case [tex]\left|\alpha\right\rangle = \left(x\:y\:z\right)^{T}[/tex] could represent any physical vector quantity you like?

6. Jul 31, 2008 #5
    Basically, the complex number <out|O|in> is the amplitude to start from state |in> and end up to state |out> via the operator O.

But mathematically, <V| is the dual form to vector |V>.

edit
    Excellent choice of book. Keep up with it, it's worth. You'll need to wait a little bit. Later in (12) "The general physical interpretation"

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?