1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bras and Kets

1. Jul 26, 2005 #1
    I am trying to show that |g> = A|f> implies
    <g| = <f|B

where A is an operator and B is its Hermitian conjugate.
    I think my problem is with notation, but i have not been able to show this as yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In a matrix representation, you can write the original equation as a sum of products using matrix multiplication rules. Take the complex conjugate, and replace the conjugates of the elements of A with elements of B. Then from the relationship between elements of <g| and |g>, <f| and |f> you have all you need.
  4. Jul 26, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's pretty much the definition of Hermitian conjugate, isn't it?
  5. Jul 26, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As far as I'm aware, that is how the hermitian conjugate (or adjoint) is defined - though the dual correspondence for A|a> !

I guess you could take the matrix operation of finding the adjoint as definition, and "derive" this result as Older Dan suggests.
  6. Jul 27, 2005 #5
    We have only just been introduced to Dirac notation, and have not had a lot of experience in linear analysis and dual vector spaces etc... I have figured out how to do it, i just contract |g> with an arbitrary bra <h|, then do the same with <g| and an arbitrary bra |h>, show the two are equal and hence the expression for <g| must be correct.
    Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?