1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brass and Corrosion!

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been given the task to corrode brass with common base, acid and salt. I understand that it is an alloy of copper and zinc and is actually designed not to rust. Before I begin the experiment, I am looking for the best TYPE of brass to use in this experiment. Given that there appears to be hundreds of different types of brass with different properties, which type will give me the best chance for visible results?

2. Relevant equations
    Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have looked all over the internet... and have contacted several "brass wholesale suppliers" who have simply stated that they are not "scientists."

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Include "dezincification" in your search for brass. You want a brass that is http://corrosion-doctors.org/MatSelect/corrbrass.htm" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook