1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brayton Cycle confusion

1. Jan 23, 2012 #1
    This is a general concern with finding temperature values at different processes in the cycle, however i do have an example i am stuck on, and can post that if needs be. anyway, if i was required to find the flow rate at outlet, which temperatures would i need to put in the SFEE as i know cp(deltaT) = deltaH, my guess is T4 - T1. how would i go about getting temperature 3 and 4, I can get temperature 2 no problem, my main problem lies with calculating T3 on the constant pressure line, there is no volumes given and neither is the heat input at constant pressure. I basically have the shaft power, the inlet velocity, the mass flow rate, the pressures, cp and gamma, and temperature at inlet, which i assume is T1....?

any help would be great, as i have an exam tomorrow and this seems to be the only sticking point for me.

Thanks in advance

Edit: It has come to my attention that this may well come under the subject of homework-type questions. however as i am not sure, and it seems pretty general to me, i will leave it here which i hope is not to much of a problem, and if required i or a moderator can move the post. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2012 #2
    nevermind the temperature it has given me is T3 in the cycle, i believe its the turbine inlet conditions given, rather than the compressor, as if it was i would need a max cycle temp to work out the other unkowns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook