Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brazil Releases Classified UFO Data

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.rense.com/general65/braz.htm

Just providing a quick link here to what was discussed on The History Channel last night, which appears to be the follow up story to this news release. When time allows, I or perhaps other members will post links to better information.

I was aware of some really wild claims coming out of Brazil for the last ten years, but what I saw last night [assuming that it's reasonably accurate] absolutely knocked my socks off! This may be the best documented and most dramatic UFO case in modern history. As reported, what is contained in the government files are videos, photographs, and detailed drawings made by Air Force personnel who were responding to "UFO attacks" on people. It was assumed that some foreign government was violating Brazilian airspace, but instead, the responders encountered exactly what was being described by witnesses to previous attacks. Allegedly, and no doubt, this gets really wild, some eighty people were attacked and burned by lights in the sky that emitted beams of light which left pit marks and/or large burns on the victim. Two of the victims alleged died and apparently due to their encounter. Also, many of the drawings clearly show a craft, with four or five of the common configurations seen which are easily recognized from the literature. A number of claims of encounters with aliens are made as well.

From what I saw, most of this appears to be credible information - there seems to be little doubt about this. But as always, perhaps with some more digging it will be found less dramatic than claimed.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2006 #2

wolram

Gold Member

4. Mar 15, 2006 #3
    I remember they also made a documentary about it, also one with english subtitles.
    It was quite disappointing because it turned out that most(all) of the drawings and photos were taken by a single military guy who was in charge (captain hollanda or something) and he also had mental problems and killed himself after giving an interview.

Heres the video:
    http://www.ufo.com.br/publico/Linha_Direta_25_Agosto/Program Linha Direta in English.wmv

Some screenshots from the video:
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1607/bscap0069af.jpg
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7846/bscap0042ps.jpg
    http://img277.imageshack.us/img277/6110/bscap0088ge.jpg
    http://img277.imageshack.us/img277/4300/bscap0076li.jpg
    http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/5967/bscap0097mx.jpg

5. Mar 15, 2006 #4

SGT

The first paragraph:
    OPERATION PRATO 1 - PART 1 - First part of the document resulting of Operation Prato, conducted by Brazilian Air Force (FAB) in Amazonia, through the first Regional Air Command, from Belém (PA), between september and december 1977. This is the final report of FAB secret program, coordinated by the then captain Uyrangê Bolívar Soares Nogueira de Hollanda Lima, closed in december 1977 and sent to the Brazilian Air Defense Command (Comdabra), at Brasilia. 50 pages in pdf 8.1 Mb.

The other paragraphs refer to parts 2 and 3 of Operation Prato 1 and to Operation Prato 2.

Prato is literally dish, or perhaps saucer.
    When I have some time I will try to read at least one of the pdf files, but I do not believe there is anything conclusive there.

6. Mar 15, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

His story was discussed in detail. It could go either way really depending on how you look at things. But when taken along with the official files - as claimed, over one-hundred hours of video, five-hundred photographs, and I forget how many pages of reports - and other witnesses [allegedly hundreds of them] including the town doctor, the story seemed far too big for one man to fake.

7. Mar 15, 2006 #6
    I know i was enthusiastic about it also, but what ive seen so far has been very disappointing. There is another documentary made by the history channel which had a little bit that said Hollanda himself drew all those sketches. It also said the military decided to stop the operation because they thought Hollanda was screwing up. Most of the witness stories they showed were also very average. I havent seen any good video or pictures from it either.

It all left me with the impression that it was the ufologists and hollanda that blew it out of proportion.

http://ufologie.net/htm/colarespics.htm

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  8. Mar 15, 2006 #7

SGT

I looked quickly at the pdf file. It is not an official document of Brazilian Air Force. There is no header nor logo indicating it. And if it was an official secret document, there should be the word SECRETO in all pages.
    I believe that this is a report made by captain Hollanda, but I don't think military authorities gave any attention to it.
    In the document I saw, there are sightings made by fishermen and by a priest in the Amazon, all of them mentioning luminous flying objects moving at high velocities.
    Since you can only estimate the velocity of an object if you know the distance, the information of high velocity has no meaning.
    There are some sightings made by captain Hollanda's crew. They mention heights of 35000 ft. How did they measure it? Specially at night.
    Before someone claims that an experienced pilot can evaluate height, it should be noted that captain Hollanda belonged to the quartermaster corps.

9. Mar 15, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw that but this information seems to easily dismiss the debunking. As I said, this appears to go far beyond the reach of one man. The doctor was interviewed as were other witnesses to the alleged events. Also, as the highest ranking official on site at the time, it would make sense that he filed the official report.

I don't trust the debunkers anymore than the true believers. Also, I don't know about the links provided by Wolram, but this was a case of the government giving permission for limited access to official files.

Edit: No doubt there is a lot of information to sort out, and what came from whom, and when, is another thing altogether. But it seems to me that at some level the story must basically be true.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  10. Mar 15, 2006 #9

wolram

Gold Member

I don't trust the debunkers anymore than the true believers. Also, I don't know about the links provided by Wolram, but this was a case of the government giving permission for limited access to official files.

I am with you on this one Ivan, the (burning) clinched it for me, official
    files mean nothing, as goverments are some of the biggest liars in history.

11. Mar 16, 2006 #10
    Of course this is true :) Why believe anything the governments say? Have they EVER been honest with us? Yes the man killed himself... of course... he was a "father" and then he was exposed to extra-terrestrial presences... if you were extremely religious... then something like this happened and everyone told you that you were crazy... you'd probably do the same thing. I almost did.. and I'll leave it at that.

12. Mar 16, 2006 #11
    I'm pretty sure I saw a thing about the same cases of people being attacked on TV in the past three months or so. They interviewed a woman who was an emergency room doctor (or maybe just a GP) who treated some of the victims. She, herself, later went to the town and saw and was chased by one of these things, she said.

13. Mar 16, 2006 #12

SGT

It's weird that the only alleged observations at close range were made by civilians. The military only saw lights at great altitude (over 35000 ft, according to the report).
    Also one of the witnesses speaks of several equipments and aircraft used by Air Force personnel during the investigations, but captain Hollanda's report only mentions a unmarked vehicle, binoculars, cameras and a theodolite.
    Anyway, a big scale operation would never be commanded by a captain.

14. Mar 16, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that you are only seeing one or a few of perhaps hundreds of reports. It was claimed that even some of the Air Force personnel were attacked by or encountered these things. As for a captain, I think the key is that they were surprised to find anything at all. It had been assumed that the alleged attacks were due to hysteria so it wasn't treated like a big deal. But as I said, there appears to be a lot to sort out. I need to spend some time digging.

Those do look like copies of the original report but I too wonder why we don't see any letterhead... perhaps they don't use official or rubber stamped paper for all government business, as we do here.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  15. Mar 16, 2006 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have seen a few shows and probably hundreds of UFO reports from Brazil and about this event over the last few years. I'm not sure how new this show was but it has to have been made within the last six months or so since the files were declassified in May of last year.

16. Mar 16, 2006 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That has always been a big question in all of this: How far would the government go to fake UFOs? We know that the military has used UFOs as an easy cover story, as did the Soviets, but would they or other governments intentionally fake reports...or even attack villagers with high energy LASERs? I have always assumed that this is not the case. For one, in many cases the conspiracy would have had to wait twenty to forty years for the files to be declassified, which seems to rule out any useful conspiracy in that sense, and in this case. And we know that the files existed because the person who made them was still alive and even interviewed for three days. Also, I believe that the investigators had to track him down. But that doesn't rule out that a military or some private group might have tested a weapon on a small population.

Until now I have always attributed the stories of burns to encounters with ball lightning, but I had no idea that so many people were allegedly attacked.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  17. Mar 16, 2006 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Ivan, i weep at the lack of evidence in these reports, my encounter was at time, when i was a hard nosed rocker, the only talk in those days was mod
    bashing , if i had talked about it i would probably have been sorted out, there is some thing that is not universaly known hapening out there.

18. Mar 16, 2006 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

19. Mar 17, 2006 #18

SGT

I am a retired officer of Brazilian Army. I have been in the military for almost 30 years and can assure you that all official documents have letterheads. And classified documents are stamped in every page in red with the words: RESERVADO or SECRETO.
    I believe the document presented was a personal report typed by captain Hollanda and given to the Brazilian UFO research group.
    Notice that in the web page of the group it is said that they were cordially received by an Air Force general, but there is no mention of the release of classified documents

20. Mar 17, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a coincidence!

Well then these clearly aren't the documents released by the government.

21. Mar 17, 2006 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you are a 30 year military professor?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=85863&page=6
    post 81

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?