Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Brazil’s leader blames white people for crisis

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ae4957e8-1a5f-11de-9f91-0000779fd2ac.html

Apparently he is vying for greater power in the U.N., but I don't see what he hopes to accomplish by making such a statement. Perhaps it helps him politically at home, which itself would be worrisome.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2
    What do you think should be done to this?

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Technically, that depends on the background information that I don't have. I would expect that other leaders will denounce his comments.

I don't know that anything should be done. But it does raise a flag wrt his intentions. Also, one has to wonder about the public attitude in Brazil if they support a leader who would make such comments.

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4
    Indeed, it is hard to tell. These kinds of comments are typically meant for domestic consumption and not to the outside world. Illiterate, poor and unhappy people often take the bait.

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I don't make too much of it. Lula looks to be speaking in short hand in terms Brazilians can relate to. I don't take it as much of anything that needs denouncing internationally. I think the Financial Times is not being wholly constructive in developing a story that plays much differently abroad than within Brazil.

The fact of the matter is that Brazil has made tremendous strides in their economy and are no longer a beggar nation at the World Bank. And Brazil has as well developed a great deal of its own renewable energies internally, and to Lula's credit it is overall not experiencing the kind of global downturn that rages elsewhere.

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6
    If you want to unite people behind your cause, give them someone to hate and blame. It worked for Lenin, Hitler,Chairman Mao, Pol Pot, Osama, that kook in Venezuela, in our own country the KKK, the liberal left, the conservative right, you name it, the tactic works. Oh yeah it worked pretty good for our founding fathers too. In Luiz's case it is an easy way to grab world attention and also garner support from your countrymen. Fortunately for me I am still on the good guy list because although I am white, I have brown eyes. :rofl:

8. Mar 28, 2009 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you see this as being akin to Palin, hate radio, Fox Noise et. al., calling Obama a terrorist [or accusing him of palling around with terrorists]?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  9. Mar 28, 2009 #8
    Huh what are you talking about? What cause?

10. Mar 28, 2009 #9
    Werg 22, It is obvious that Luiz is looking to bolster his stature at home and among other third world countries by giving his followers and supporters someone to hate. It is a tried and true tactic.

Ivan I said the tactic works no matter who uses it. However, little if any good usually comes from it, but you are obviously so biased that you think it applies only to one segment of the population.

11. Mar 28, 2009 #10
    Re: Brazil’s leader blames white people for crisis

Probably more like making all Muslims out to be followers of a violent religion of terrorists.

12. Mar 28, 2009 #11
    Can't be so. I've never heard of any blue eyed, blond haired people of significance. They seem an ineffectual as Brazilians.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  13. Mar 28, 2009 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Makes a change from blaming the Jews I suppose

Meanwhile Iceland is blaming it's men (presumably white with blue eyes) and a women leader will bring a new era of peace, cooperation and understanding without the testorsterone <cough>thatcher</cough>

14. Mar 28, 2009 #13
    Wait, wait. This makes perfectly good sense, in the political barn yard. Mr. Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, of Iberian decent, presides over a country with a 45% black population. He's threatened by Obama. With this easy reassignment of blame, he may soon be be in a position to feel himself Brazil's first black president, a la Clinton.

15. Mar 28, 2009 #14

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

I wouldn't take that so serious at all. It's more like blaming the bankers and the
    Wall street culture in the industrialized West, without having to refer to the other
    side as "the developing nations" which is embarrassing.

Well, the industrialized state of Sao Paolo alone is around the 12th or 13th economy
    of the world, so a a bit of pride is justified.

This hasn't anything to do with racism. I've been many times in Brazil, speak
    Portuguese and know the culture, don't take it serious.

Regards, Hans.

16. Mar 28, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So by saying "white with blue eyes" he is saying "developed nations"? How does that equate? Surely Brazilians don't think that all Americans and Europeans have blue eyes. Is this a popular stereotype?

17. Mar 28, 2009 #16
    Don't be so certain you're on the "good guy" list. A white boy with brown eyes is just a white boy with blue eyes wearing brown contact lenses trying to escape the lynching mob. :biggrin:

18. Mar 28, 2009 #17
    It is an overgeneralizing for our oligarchy, who very much still does hold to a "white man's burden" mentality with a myopic sense of justice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook