Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breadboard and SMD components

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    I'd like to breadboard a surface mount IC for testing. Is there some type of connector that can be purchased to plug the IC into which will provides wire leads for breadboarding? Failing that, I guess I could try to solder leads to the IC. But at 3mm x 3mm and 10 pins, I think that's next to impossible. Especially with my $15 soldering tool.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For large complex parts (like FPGAs CPUs) you can get ZIF sockets but they cost a fortune.
    Normally you make up a little adapter PCB board with 0.1 headers that mounts in the same way as a DIP package.

I also found these guys selling SMD prototype boards - but I don't have experience of them.http://protoboards.theshoppe.com/pcb_index.html

You can solder SMD with a regular iron, the trick is the correct flux and having everything really clean. The surface tension pulls the solder onto the pads.

4. May 12, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

mgb's link looks good. You can also do a google search on surf board prototype adapters.

I've never tried to solder SMT stuff with a cheap soldering iron, but it may work. I'd recommend using a Metcal soldering iron, if possible. They use RF heating and feedback to keep the tip temperature much better controlled.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook