Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breadboard I need a Vcc

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    Hi, I have a simple breadboard setup with an inverter IC, LEDs, etc.

I have a GND/Vcc wire, now I need something that I can send +4.5v through.

mY professor mentioned I can use three 1.5 double A batteries in series, but how would I go about doing this?

What tools do I need?

This is for when I have to test the circuit when im at home and can't go to the lab.

THx.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 19, 2006 #3
    can you get me the right link to digikey? it doesn't work :(
    i'm not sure what to search

also, radioshack doesn't have the AA battery holders, in series... i need one with 3, so i can supply 4.5v

any other ideas?

5. Sep 19, 2006 #4
    also, would the battery holder be in "series" or one that is in 'parallel' or does it not matter

6. Sep 19, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They must be in series. If the batteries were in parallel, you'd only get 1.5V out of them (though you'd have a higher current capability).

- Warren

7. Sep 19, 2006 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps you should abandon the electronic project and work on some fundamental circuit projects. You need to understand DC circuits before you can comprehend the electronics. I think you are getting ahead of yourself if you do not know how to connect 2 batteries in series. Find a project book on simple DC circuits and work your way through that, then tackle an electronics project.

8. Sep 19, 2006 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How about just getting a 5Vdc wall transformer and a mating connector? You can get those lots of places.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?