1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breadboards with capacitor

1. Feb 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm fairly new at breadboards and I've tried to set up how I think it should be (BUT I've used a resistor instead of the second capacitor since I didn't have any on me at the moment AND I will be replacing it with a capacitor when I get the chance but just needed to see if the connections were correct.

Picture of setup is attached.

1. Connect lead D to point Y to discharge the 47 microFarads capacitor. Then remove lead D from this point.
    2. Connect lead C to the positive terminal of the cell to charge the 1.0 microFarad capacitor. Then connect lead C to point Y in order to make the two capacitors share the charge.
    3. Measure the potential difference V across the arrangement directly after the charge has been shared and calculate the charge which is stored on the 47 microFarads capacitor after sharing.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    As shown in the pictures.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

On the schematic, are you showing lead D shorting out the voltage supply? Not a good idea if so...

4. Feb 26, 2017 #3

berkeman

Also, it is a bad idea to short out capacitors with a wire to discharge them. Use a medium-value resistor like 1kOhm instead to reduce the peak discharge current so you don't hurt the capacitor.

5. Feb 26, 2017 #4

gneill

I take it that the white wire represents lead D and that the green wire represents lead C? Then the capacitor that you do have is the 1 μF capacitor? If that's all so, it would appear that your layout matches your schematic.

I believe that's meant to represent the voltmeter. The voltage is supplied by the 1.5 V cell at the top of the schematic.

6. Feb 26, 2017 #5
    Yes the white wire is lead D and the green wire is lead C and yes that is the 1 μF capacitor.

Thank you, will test it out tomorrow and see how it goes.

7. Feb 26, 2017 #6

berkeman

Ah, thanks gneill. Still, I would use a resistor and not a wire to discharge the capacitor.

8. Feb 26, 2017 #7

gneill

It's a good tip to pass on to newbies. Nothing worse than unknowingly damaging what should be perfectly good new parts when you're just learning, then wondering why the circuit won't work like the writeup says it should.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted