Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Break quote button

1. Mar 3, 2016 #1

Ibix

Science Advisor

Something I want to do quite often is quote a post in chunks with my own comments interspersed. A button in the editor that inserts a close quote tag followed by an open quote tag (possibly with the user/post metadata) would be a helpful feature for this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hear, hear.

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3
    Hmmm not sure I understand. How does multi quote or highlight quote not work for this?

5. Mar 3, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Let me see if I can explain.

It does, but it's not the same!

To do the above, I simply clicked on Reply, then had to insert manually a [/QUOTE] at the end of your first sentence, then copy-paste [QUOTE="Greg Bernhardt, post: 5398685, member: 1"] to get the second quote.

The same result is achieved by highlighting, but one has to select the original post one part at a time. I guess @Ibix and @Bystander where either not aware of that or think it is too much work :smile:

6. Mar 3, 2016 #5

Ibix

Science Advisor

I was aware of the techniques Dr Claude describes, and use them on my laptop. But highlighting is an extreme pain to get right on my phone (possibly I'm just clumsy). It is a lot easier to quote an entire post and delete the parts I don't want. But if I want to break a quote I either have to cut and paste (again with the highlighting), manually add the quote tags (square brackets and slashes are annoyingly difficult on my phone keyboard), or quote-and-delete repeatedly.

I understand if it's not something you want to do. I'd find it a useful feature, however.

7. Mar 3, 2016 #6

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

The closest we have today is the multiquote feature: Select a portion of the post you're replying to, add it to multiquote, select the next portion, repeat as necessary, then click the "Insert Quotes" button to drop each portion into the reply with the appropriate opening and closing quote tags.

I don't find this technique very satisfying, as it requires me to decide exactly how I'm going to cut up the original post before I start composing any of my own text, and that's just not how I work. We used to have a button that would a piece of selected text in quote tags, and that came pretty close and I used it a fair amount.

8. Mar 3, 2016 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hear you. Thank goodness for multiple browser tabs. :approve:

9. Mar 8, 2016 #8

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

You can mark a piece of text and select reply; then it starts a reply with the quoted text or adds the text with the quote at the position of the cursor in the current partially composed reply. Unfortunately it works only when the text is on the same page as the partial reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted