1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breakdown voltage

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    Being a computer science and eng first year student, just trying to understand one artical regarding Breakdown voltage of a pn junction.Could anybody explain me, which diode out of the following have higher breakdown voltage if they have same design parameters such as doping and thickness and why ?
    1. p+-n diode
    2. n+-p diode
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2
    Can you clarify your diode notation. It seems ambiguous.

4. Apr 15, 2008 #3
    I suppose, i should have rather written as p+nn+. If you are familiar with power rectifiers, it is quite common notation used in there, to denote the high voltage rectifier.
    High voltage rectifiers are fabricated in silicon which is either n-type or p-type.

1. "p" refers to quantity of the p-type semiconductor for instance boron etc. The + sign shows that boron atoms concentration, we are talking is in the order of greater then 1e18 cm-3 .This much of the boron atom concentration is diffused into the n type silicon to make a rectifier. It is therefore denoted by p+n.

2. like wise "n " refers to n-type semiconductor for instance phosphorous etc. Again, when the doping concentration is very high, we denote it by n+.

so same is applicable to other type of the rectifier for instance n+pp+.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?