Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breakfast - Good idea or otherwise?

1. Sep 10, 2005 #1

Mk

People tell me I should, I say why? I figure if my body doesn't tell me to eat then I won't (unless loss of appetite from illness or something). When I'm sleeping I hardly lose any energy, just my brain, stomach, and heart!

I usually end up eating it more often than not, but I do NOT like following ANYTHING blindly, so I want to know why. Any links? Studies?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2005 #2
    Durring the night you loose glucose. The brain itself has no reserves of glucose, its main energy source, and must be replenished.
    Most mornings, the thought breakfast makes me queezy. I just grab a fruit and coffee. If I do eat a big breakfast I feel sluggish, sleepy. I think we adapt to little or no breakfast over a lifetime. Some countries never have breakfast, only a mid-day meal and dinner.
    I have noticed around 10-ish I get really hungry, and if I dont have food by noon, I can get down right cranky.
    Most of the studies I have seen involve kids, and adult weight management.

4. Sep 10, 2005 #3
    We will have 4h hour lab sessions two days a week, from noon to 4pm, and our professor told us not to cheat on breakfast and lunch if we didn't want to faint into accids or bunsen burners.

5. Sep 10, 2005 #4
    just waiting to spend time.
    thought of filling in.

it is really hard to learn the english manners. english break fast r really cool. well the bread is good. i think i am starting to like breakfast!!!

6. Sep 10, 2005 #5
    I feel better if I have some breakfast.

7. Sep 10, 2005 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Breakfast Cereal Helps Maintain Healthy Weight
    Cold-Cereal Eaters Weigh Less, Studies of Girls Suggest

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. from About.com

Tufts Health & Nutrition Newsletter - March 2004
    For Your Weight Control Effort, Breakfast
    Eating more in the morning may help limit overeating at night

Study: Breakfast Helps Girls Stay Slim by AP on Yahoo

For those under 20, while the body is still developing, including the brain, it is wise to eat a balanced and nutritious diet (and exercise or physical activity as well). This includes a breakfast each day, as is implied by the recent studies.

8. Sep 10, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

During night, you lose glucose
    and wake up as smart as a moose
    So do not be grumpy and morose,
    sniff the odour of a red rose,

AND EAT THAT DAMN BREAKFAST, BOY!!! :grumpy:

9. Sep 10, 2005 #8
    Dangit! Astronuc scooped me on that one. Lets talk about breakfast now. How about 2 or 3 scrambled eggs with hashbrowns and sausage crumbled on top all swimming in cream gravy, mmmmmm. The only thing better would be to add churizo that has been fried to the point of just barely being burnt. Wash all that down with a liter of ice cold Pepsi or RC. If I time it just right I can get to the buffet right when they put out steaks and still have breakfast showing. :tongue2: :tongue2:

10. Sep 10, 2005 #9
    Might as well slash open your heart and pack it full of lard, I know, it won't be as fun as eating all that stuff...lol
    Breakfast like that are fine every once in a while.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  11. Sep 10, 2005 #10
    I'm never hungry in the morning :(
    Maybe i should eat a protein bar, or granola bar or something

12. Sep 10, 2005 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good idea...I'll be back in an hour or so ! :tongue2:

13. Sep 10, 2005 #12

Mk

Yep, that's why I don't eat in the morning!

14. Sep 10, 2005 #13
    When I go to college, if I have my first class at 8:30 or so, then I may eat breakfast if I wake up at 6:30. I don't see myself waking up at 6:30 if I don't have to though.

How bad is it when I don't eat breakfast nor dinner? I never eat breakfast and often don't eat lunch at school :/

15. Sep 10, 2005 #14

Mk

Well I guess if you're not dead, and not anorexic its ok!

16. Sep 10, 2005 #15
    :bugeye:
    I may start walking to a grocery store nearby and eating lunch there....

17. Sep 10, 2005 #16

Mk

But nobody has convinced me it is healthy to eat a breakfast every morning... many countries' cultures don't even eat breakfast, and according to, about.com
    It's not like I haven't had glucose for days, in today's western society, hungry means nothing, people can survive for days without food, and we complain about not eating for ten hours. Besides, isn't turning fat into glucose good if you're trying to lose weight?

18. Sep 11, 2005 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, if you don't mind taking your metabolism and shooting it, then don't eat breakfast.

19. Sep 11, 2005 #18

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Starving yourself to burn fat stores is not healthy, even though you will lost fat. If you don't eat breakfast, your metabolism will lag until you eat, and you'll generally have less energy at some point during the day (although you might not have immediate problems in the morning because of the adrenaline rush that you get from waking yourself up and running around to get somewhere on time). The reason a large breakfast will actually make you more tired is that you raise your blood-sugar level very quickly when you eat too much. Your body then floods your bloodstream with insulin, which makes you tired. This happens any time you wait until you're very hungry to eat, then eat a large meal, and is never the best of ideas.

20. Sep 12, 2005 #19

Mk

I don't get why my metabolism will lag until I eat. :confused:

21. Sep 12, 2005 #20

somasimple

Gold Member

Consider your body as a car engine:
    Is it preferable to bring some fuel once a day?
    Is it preferable to bring some fuel more periodically?

Which solution will you consider as the best one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?