Probability of Longest Stick at Least 3x Shortest | Triangle Side Probability

• Thread starter xcrunner448
  • Start date
Your Name]In summary, we are asked to find the probability that a stick broken into 3 pieces can serve as the 3 sides of a triangle and that the longest piece is at least three times the shortest piece. We can approach this problem by setting up inequalities using the total length of the stick (1) and the lengths of the pieces (a, b, and c). To find the probability, we can calculate the volume of the region that satisfies all of these inequalities and divide it by the total volume of the space in which the stick can be broken. Alternatively, we can use a simulation to estimate the probability.
xcrunner448

Homework Statement

If a stick is broken at random into 3 pieces, find the probability that the longest of the 3
pieces is at least three times the shortest of the 3 pieces and that the 3 pieces can serve as
the 3 sides of a triangle. Express your answer as a common fraction reduced to lowest
terms.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I assumed the stick had length 1 to make things easier. The three pieces have length a, b, and c, so a+b+c=1. Also, all three must be less than 0.5 or else you could not make a triangle out of them (if one was >0.5, the sum of the other two would be <0.5). If c is the longest and a is the shortest, then a<=(c/3). From here I am kind of stuck. I have no idea how to go about trying to find the probability.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting question. I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

First, let's consider the probability of randomly breaking a stick into 3 pieces that can serve as the 3 sides of a triangle. This can be calculated by considering the lengths of the pieces. For a triangle to be formed, the sum of the lengths of any two sides must be greater than the length of the third side. This means that we can set up the following inequalities:

a + b > c
b + c > a
a + c > b

Now, since we know that the total length of the stick is 1, we can rewrite these inequalities as:

a + b > 1 - c
b + c > 1 - a
a + c > 1 - b

Next, we can consider the probability that the longest of the 3 pieces is at least three times the shortest piece. This means that we can set up the following inequality:

c >= 3a

Combining this with the previous inequalities, we get:

a + b > 1 - c
b + c > 1 - a
a + c > 1 - b
c >= 3a

Now, we can use these inequalities to find the probability of randomly breaking a stick into 3 pieces that satisfy both conditions. This can be done by finding the volume of the region that satisfies all of these inequalities, and dividing it by the total volume of the space in which the stick can be broken.

However, this calculation can get quite complicated, so I would recommend using a computer program or graphing calculator to help with the calculations. Alternatively, you could also use a simulation to estimate the probability.

I hope this helps guide your thinking and approach to solving this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps. Good luck!

1. What is the "Probability of Longest Stick at Least 3x Shortest"?

The "Probability of Longest Stick at Least 3x Shortest" refers to the likelihood of a randomly chosen triangle having a longest side that is at least three times longer than the shortest side. This is also known as the "Triangle Side Probability."

2. How is this probability calculated?

This probability can be calculated using the formula P = 2/3 - (1/3)(x^2), where x is the ratio of the longest side to the shortest side. This formula assumes that all three sides of the triangle are randomly chosen and independent of each other.

3. What is the significance of this probability?

This probability is important in understanding the distribution of triangle side lengths in a random sample. It can also be useful in predicting the likelihood of a triangle being acute, right, or obtuse based on the length of its sides.

4. Can this probability be applied to any type of triangle?

Yes, this probability applies to all types of triangles, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles. As long as the sides are randomly chosen and independent of each other, this probability can be used.

5. How does this probability relate to real-world situations?

The "Probability of Longest Stick at Least 3x Shortest" has practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and statistics. It can be used to analyze and predict the likelihood of certain triangle configurations in real-world scenarios, such as the strength of a bridge or the stability of a building.