Is it Possible to Conclude that g(T) = T in this Proof?

• Thread starter SithsNGiggles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
This is an important step that cannot be skipped. In summary, the conversation discusses a proof where it is shown that any subset of a finite set is finite. The presenter argues that it immediately follows that g(T) = T based on the given equations, but is reminded that they need to show that g(T) is a subset of T in order to make this conclusion. This is a crucial step that cannot be skipped in the proof.
SithsNGiggles
This is the conclusion of a proof (any subset of a finite set is finite, which was worked on in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=592636) I recently presented, but I was told that I couldn't immediately make it:

[itex]S = T \cup (S \setminus T)[/itex] (where T is a subset of S)
[itex]f(S) = g(T) \cup h(S \setminus T)[/itex]

I showed earlier in the proof that [itex]f(S) = S[/itex] and [itex]h(S \setminus T) = S \setminus T[/itex].
I say that it immediately follows that [itex]g(T) = T[/itex] because

[itex]f(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{l}
g(x) & : x \in T\\
h(x) & : x \in S \setminus T
\end{array}
\right.[/itex]

which shows that [itex]g(T) \cap h(S \setminus T) = \emptyset[/itex].

What could I be missing? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to conclude that g(T) = T, you need to show that g(T) is a subset of T. In other words, you need to show that for all x in T, g(x) is in T as well. You have not yet done that, so you cannot make the conclusion that g(T) = T.

1. How do you know if a proof is valid?

A valid proof is one that follows the logical rules and steps of deduction. This means that each statement in the proof must be supported by evidence or previous statements, and the conclusion must be a logical consequence of the premises.

2. What are the common steps in breaking down a proof?

The steps of breaking down a proof may vary depending on the type of proof, but generally they include identifying the premises, determining the logical structure, and analyzing the relationships between each statement to reach the conclusion.

3. How do you approach a complex proof?

A complex proof can be approached by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the main premises and conclusion, then work backwards to determine the logical steps needed to reach the conclusion. It can also be helpful to use visual aids such as diagrams or tables to organize the information.

4. What is the importance of checking for errors in a proof?

Checking for errors in a proof is crucial to ensure its validity. Even a small error in reasoning can lead to an incorrect conclusion. By carefully reviewing each statement and its relation to the others, you can identify and correct any mistakes in the proof.

5. How do you determine if a proof is complete?

A complete proof must include all necessary premises and logical steps to reach the conclusion. To determine if a proof is complete, carefully review each statement and its relationship to the others. If there are any gaps or missing steps, the proof may not be complete.