Breaking News: New Pope Elected

• News
  • Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, the new Pope is Jorge Mario Bergoglio from Argentina and he is the first Jesuit leader of the Catholic Church. He is also known as Francis. He has a master degree in chemistry and is 76 years old.
StevieTNZ
White smoke has risen; awaiting to find out who the new Pope is.

Physics news on Phys.org
And they're taking their time announcing who it is.

Hoping for the American Timothy Dolan!

lisab said:
And they're taking their time announcing who it is.

Typically after the bells ring (after white smoke emerges), its within 30-45 mins that the new Pope comes out onto the balcony.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Hoping for the American Timothy Dolan!

Because he used to be Archbishop of Milwaukee? :smile:

jtbell said:
Because he used to be Archbishop of Milwaukee? :smile:

haha maybe! I just like his smiley attitude! :)

Jorge Mario Bergoglio from Argentina. Hmm I didn't see that one coming!

And his new name is Francis I.

A Jesuit is better than nothing, but the guy is 76. You'd think they would have learned their lesson with Benedict.

Don't blame me, I voted for Timothy Dolan.

Now the fun ensues; it's only a matter of time before he makes a controversial statement (which will immediately become true).

I was hoping for Cardinal Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson from Ghana.

Pope Kodwo sounds rather cool. :cool:

The joke here is that finally they elected a navy guy. Why? He's from the Jesuit order and they are often called God's Marines which is fitting if you're going to wear the shoes of the Fisherman.

Today must be a slow news day (at least in the UK).

The fact that the new pope is saying prayers and celebrating mass is NEWS? Oy vey... :smile:

The new pope is 76 raising the possibility that he too will retire and there will be 3 living popes. Keep it up and they'll have a minyan.

Last edited:
Jimmy Snyder said:
The new pope is 76 raising the possibility that he too will retire and there will be 3 living popes. Keep it up and they'll have a minyan.

You spelled minivan incorrectly...

jtbell said:
And his new name is Francis I.

Jimmy would have been nicer...

1. Who is the new pope?

The new pope is Pope Francis, formerly known as Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio from Argentina.

2. How was the new pope elected?

The new pope was elected by the College of Cardinals during a conclave, a gathering of Catholic leaders to elect a new pope.

3. What is the significance of the new pope's name?

The new pope chose the name Francis in honor of St. Francis of Assisi, known for his humility and dedication to serving the poor.

4. What are some of the new pope's beliefs and values?

Pope Francis is known for his strong stance on social justice issues, advocating for the poor and marginalized, as well as for his humility and simple lifestyle.

5. How will the new pope's leadership impact the Catholic Church?

As the first pope from Latin America, Pope Francis brings a new perspective and cultural diversity to the Catholic Church. His leadership is expected to focus on promoting unity and addressing global issues such as poverty and climate change.