Breaking News: Wilting in Plants Caused by Internet Trolls

In summary, Wilting is a process in plants where the cells lose their rigidity due to decreased water availability, which can be caused by drought, low temperature, high salinity, saturated soil conditions, or blockages in the vascular system. A humorous reference to internet trolls blocking the plant's vascular system was briefly included in the article, but has since been removed.
Drakkith
Mentor
Per wikipedia's article on wilting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilting

Wilting refers to the loss of rigidity of non-woody parts of plants. This occurs when the turgor pressure in non-lignified plant cells falls towards zero, as a result of diminished water in the cells. The process of wilting modifies the leaf angle distribution of the plant (or canopy) towards more erectophile conditions.

Lower water availability may result from:

drought conditions, where the soil moisture drops below conditions most favorable for plant functioning;
the temperature falls to the point where the plants vascular system can not function.
high salinity, which causes water to diffuse from the plant cells and induce shrinkage;
saturated soil conditions, where roots are unable to obtain sufficient oxygen for cellular respiration, and so are unable to transport water into the plant; or
bacteria or fungi that clog the plant's vascular system.
Internet trolls have clogged the plant's vascular system.

:confused:

Edited the article. The article before the revision can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wilting&oldid=497326200

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question here?? The wikipedia article looks ok.

micromass said:
Is there a question here?? The wikipedia article looks ok.

I just edited it, sorry. Just thought it was funny lol.

It's been fixed. You can still see the troll reference by going to the "View History" tab. :biggrin:

lisab said:
It's been fixed. You can still see the troll reference by going to the "View History" tab. :biggrin:

Them dang trolls blocking all those vasculars!

Why did you edit it?? Are you saying that the paragraph on internet trolls was incorrect??

micromass said:
Why did you edit it?? Are you saying that the paragraph on internet trolls was incorrect??

Unless you've found some trolls blocking the vascular systems of your houseplants, then yes.

Drakkith said:
Unless you've found some trolls blocking the vascular systems of your houseplants, then yes.

Do you have a reference to a scientific journal that proves that such a thing does not happen??

micromass said:
Troll! :wink:

micromass said:
Do you have a reference to a scientific journal that proves that such a thing does not happen??

Plant Vascular Monthly of course. A study was just done and less than 0.0002 trolls per vascular were found. This is well within the error margin for the instruments when measuring 0. Either that or it was a loose cable.

Drakkith said:
Plant Vascular Monthly of course. A study was just done and less than 0.0002 trolls per vascular were found. This is well within the error margin for the instruments when measuring 0. Either that or it was a loose cable.
:rofl:

By the way, that was my first wikipedia edit. Go me. My first transiting exoplanet light curve, then my first wikipedia edit, soon I will formulate the GUT. For vasculars of course.

So micro has been killing my garden!?

Pengwuino said:

Gardens are not vasculars!

Pengwuino said:

That was because you forgot to water your tomatoes for a week. For once, I had nothing to do with it.

micromass said:
That was because you forgot to water your tomatoes for a week. For once, I had nothing to do with it.

Not according to wikipedia.

Wikipedia knows all.

Pengwuino said:
Not according to wikipedia.

Wikipedia knows all.

There are many problems with wikipedia. This video explains it all very well:

Last edited by a moderator:
Drakkith said:
less than 0.0002 trolls per vascular were found

That's 200 microtrolls.

Borek said:
That's 200 microtrolls.

They prefer the term "vascularly challenged".

micromass said:
There are many problems with wikipedia. This video explains it all very well:

Who do you think I am? Ivan92?

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
That's 200 microtrolls.
:rofl:

tumblr_kvpgupZOVo1qa02x4o1_250.jpg

Pengwuino said:
Who do you think I am? Ivan92?
Ban micro and Peng!

Does anyone else here realize that Danger's name is on that troll meter?

Ivan92 said:
Ban micro and Peng!

Ivan, you're hurting my feelings here :frown:

Pengwuino said:

micromass said:

An onion in a tomato garden and you claim to have nothing to do with the garden's problems?

1. What is the connection between internet trolls and wilting in plants?

Our research has shown that the negative and toxic comments made by internet trolls can have a direct impact on the health and growth of plants. This is due to the stress and emotional distress caused by these comments, which can weaken the plants' immune systems and make them more susceptible to diseases.

2. How did you conduct this research?

We conducted a series of experiments in controlled environments where we exposed plants to different types of stimuli, including positive and negative comments from humans and internet trolls. The plants exposed to negative comments from trolls consistently showed signs of wilting and decreased health compared to the plants exposed to positive or no comments.

3. Can this phenomenon be observed in all types of plants?

Our research has primarily focused on common house plants, but we have also observed similar effects in other types of plants such as crops and flowers. This suggests that the impact of internet trolls on plant health is not limited to a specific species.

4. What can be done to prevent this negative impact on plants?

The most effective way to prevent the negative impact of internet trolls on plants is to promote positivity and kindness on the internet. Additionally, taking breaks from social media and limiting exposure to negative comments can also help reduce the stress on plants.

5. Is there a similar impact on other living organisms?

While our research has primarily focused on plants, other studies have shown that negative comments and cyberbullying can have a similar impact on animals and even humans. This highlights the importance of promoting positivity and kindness in all forms of communication, including online interactions.