Calculating Velocity and Impulse of Broken Plate

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework problem where a dinner plate is dropped and breaks into three pieces. The second piece has a mass of 2 times the first piece and flies off perpendicular to it with a speed of 2.6 m/sec. The third piece has 3 times the first piece's mass and the questions address the magnitude and direction of its velocity, as well as the total impulse delivered to it. The conversation also mentions using conservation of momentum and finding the final equation.
Naeem
Q. While thinking about your physics homework, you drop one of your mom's dinner plates on the floor breaking it into three pieces. The second piece has a mass of 2 times the first piece and flys off perpendicular to it. These first two pieces both have a speed of 2.6 m/sec. The third piece has 3 times the first piece.

a) What is the magnitude of the velocity of the third plate?
For this I applied consevation of momentum in both the x and y directions, and got the answer, which is correct.

Take the direction of the first piece to be the x axis, the direction of the second piece to be the y axis, and angles to be measured positive counter-clockwise from the x axis.
b) What is the direction of the third plate?

I tried to find the direction using , tan theta = v3y / v3x, but still the computer says the answer is incorrect. Is the idea correct.
Θ3=

For this portion of the problem, assume the plate had a total mass of 1.4 kg.
c) What was the total impulse delivered to the third piece?

J3 = ? I know that impulse is the change in momentum Delta P, which is

p2 - p1, but how do I apply it in this situation.

Please help, Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
b) Your method seems correct. I can't say more unless I see exactly what you have done.

c) I guess what you want here is the change in momentum along the final direction. Since the initial momentum along this direction = 0. The final momentum should be the required answer.

But how would I find m3, the total mass is 1.4 kg.
and m3 = 3m1
m2 = 2m1
v1 = 2.6 m/s

v2 = 2.6m/s

Would the above info help us in solving this problem , if so , what would the final eqn, look like.

Thanks,

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity of a broken plate?

The formula for calculating velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

2. How do I measure the distance traveled by the broken plate?

To measure the distance traveled by the broken plate, you can use a measuring tape or ruler to measure the distance from the initial position of the plate to its final position.

3. How do I determine the time of impact for the broken plate?

The time of impact can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the plate to travel from its initial position to its final position. This can be done using a stopwatch or timer.

4. What is the formula for calculating impulse?

The formula for calculating impulse is J = F * Δt, where J is impulse, F is the average force applied to the plate, and Δt is the change in time during the impact.

5. How do I measure the force applied to the broken plate during impact?

The force applied to the broken plate during impact can be measured using a force sensor or by calculating the change in momentum of the plate before and after the impact.