1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breaking Plates

1. Oct 29, 2004 #1
    Q. While thinking about your physics homework, you drop one of your mom's dinner plates on the floor breaking it into three pieces. The second piece has a mass of 2 times the first piece and flys off perpendicular to it. These first two pieces both have a speed of 2.6 m/sec. The third piece has 3 times the first piece.

a) What is the magnitude of the velocity of the third plate?
    For this I applied consevation of momentum in both the x and y directions, and got the answer, which is correct.

Take the direction of the first piece to be the x axis, the direction of the second piece to be the y axis, and angles to be measured positive counter-clockwise from the x axis.
    b) What is the direction of the third plate?

I tried to find the direction using , tan theta = v3y / v3x, but still the computer says the answer is incorrect. Is the idea correct.

For this portion of the problem, assume the plate had a total mass of 1.4 kg.
    c) What was the total impulse delivered to the third piece?

J3 = ? I know that impulse is the change in momentum Delta P, which is

p2 - p1, but how do I apply it in this situation.

Please help, Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

b) Your method seems correct. I can't say more unless I see exactly what you have done.

c) I guess what you want here is the change in momentum along the final direction. Since the initial momentum along this direction = 0. The final momentum should be the required answer.
  4. Oct 30, 2004 #3
    But how would I find m3, the total mass is 1.4 kg.
    and m3 = 3m1
    m2 = 2m1
    v1 = 2.6 m/s

v2 = 2.6m/s

Would the above info help us in solving this problem , if so , what would the final eqn, look like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?