Breaking the chain of charges

In summary: Fo(r+s) / (rd + sd)^2 or Fo(r+s) / (rd - sd)^2For alternating signs, I can write (-1)^(r+s).In summary, the chain breaks when stable equilibrium is no longer possible due to the net force of attraction between two pieces of the chain becoming greater than the chain's ability to withstand external force. The sign of the product of the charges between two beads on the chain depends on the parity of their positions, and the force between them can be expressed as Fo(r+s) / (rd +/- sd)^2, where r and s are integers representing the positions of the beads, d is the distance between the beads, and Fo is a constant.
Saitama

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=66775&stc=1&d=1392807890.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to proceed with the given problem. I can write down the net force on any of the charges but what should be the condition that the chain breaks? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• chain of charges.png
    chain of charges.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 732
Physics news on Phys.org
Just thinking aloud.

If the chain can withstand some external force F, it must be in a stable equilibrium. The chain breaks when stable equilibrium is no longer possible.

voko said:
Just thinking aloud.

If the chain can withstand some external force F, it must be in a stable equilibrium. The chain breaks when stable equilibrium is no longer possible.

Should I write down the expression for potential energy?

I have not tried this, but I would give that a go.

Imagine the chain breaking at some point of an infinite chain.
What is the net force of attraction between the two pieces?
Hint:
Take as origin one of the beads, considering that bead to be in the positive half.
For a bead at position -r (r>0) and a bead at position +s (s>=0), what is the force between them?
Btw, I don't find the given identity to be relevant, which is a worry.)

Last edited:
In my hint I wrote:
haruspex said:
Btw, I don't find the given identity to be relevant, which is a worry.
Now maybe I do see why they provide that formula, but it isn't really necessary. It's so that you can rule out one extreme case, but there's a relatively straightforward argument for ruling out all but the "two semi-infinite chains" case.

Hi haruspex!

haruspex said:
Take as origin one of the beads, considering that bead to be in the positive half.
I am not sure, do you mean that the bead at origin is of charge +q?
For a bead at position -r (r>0) and a bead at position +s (s>=0), what is the force between them?
The distance between the beads is r+s but how do I comment on the sign of those beads i.e how do I know if its -q or +q at -r or +s? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
Hi haruspex!

I am not sure, do you mean that the bead at origin is of charge +q?
No, I meant positive half of the axis on which the beads lie. I'm supposing there is a charge at position n for each integer n.
The distance between the beads is r+s but how do I comment on the sign of those beads i.e how do I know if its -q or +q at -r or +s? :confused:
You don't care what the individual signs are - you only care whether they're the same or different. The distance r+s has enough information for that.

haruspex said:
No, I meant positive half of the axis on which the beads lie. I'm supposing there is a charge at position n for each integer n.
You don't care what the individual signs are - you only care whether they're the same or different. The distance r+s has enough information for that.

Please look at the attachment, did I interpret correctly?

The blue ones are positive charges and orange ones are negative.

Attachments

• charges.png
    charges.png
    5 KB · Views: 694
Pranav-Arora said:
Please look at the attachment, did I interpret correctly?

The blue ones are positive charges and orange ones are negative.
Yes, except that they also go off to infinity in the negative axis direction.
How far is it from the bead at -r (r>0) to a bead at +s (s>=0)?
In terms of that distance, what is the product of the charge signs?
What is the force between the beads?
What is the net force between all such pairs of beads?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
In terms of that distance, what is the product of the charge signs?

I still don't see how can I comment on the product. I break this into cases.

Case i), if both r and s are even multiples of d, then the product is positive.

Case ii), if both r and s are odd multiples of d, then the product is again positive.

Case iii), if r is an even multiple of d and s is an odd multiple of d, the product is negative.

Case iv), if r is an off multiple of d and s is an odd multiple of d, the product is negative.

But I am not sure if you ask me this. :confused:

Attachments

• chain of charges.jpg
    chain of charges.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 433
Following haruspex, let s and r be integers: s = 0, 1, 2, 3, ... and r = 1, 2, 3, ... which locate the particles on each side of the origin.

For a particle at location r and a particle at location s, how would you express the force between them in terms of r, s, d and q? (Or, better, in terms of r, s, and Fo)

Attachments

• chain.png
    chain.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 418
Likes 1 person
I was taking the distances to be rd, sd, so r and s are just integers.
Pranav-Arora said:
Case i), if both r and s are even multiples of d, then the product is positive.
Is r+s even or odd here?
Case ii), if both r and s are odd multiples of d, then the product is again positive.
Is r+s even or odd here?
Case iii), if r is an even multiple of d and s is an odd multiple of d, the product is negative.
Is r+s even or odd here?
Case iv), if r is an off multiple of d and s is an odd multiple of d, the product is negative.
I think you meant r odd, s even.
Is r+s even or odd here?
Looking through those, how does the parity of r+s relate to the sign of the product of the charges?
How do you write an alternating sign as an algebraic expression?

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Following haruspex, let s and r be integers: s = 0, 1, 2, 3, ... and r = 1, 2, 3, ... which locate the particles on each side of the origin.

For a particle at location r and a particle at location s, how would you express the force between them in terms of r, s, d and q? (Or, better, in terms of r, s, and Fo)

haruspex said:
Looking through those, how does the parity of r+s relate to the sign of the product of the charges?
How do you write an alternating sign as an algebraic expression?

For case i) and ii), r+s is even and for case iii) and iv), r+s is odd.

Do I write the force between the two charges the following way:
$$F=\frac{(-1)^{r+s}kq^2}{(r+s)^2d^2}=\frac{(-1)^{r+s}F_o}{(r+s)^2}$$

Last edited:
Looks ok. Now set up an expression for the net force that all the s-beads exert on all the r-beads.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Looks ok. Now set up an expression for the net force that all the s-beads exert on all the r-beads.

Before I proceed on doing the algebra, are my limits for summation correct?

$$F_{net}=F_0\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \sum_{s=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{r+s}}{(r+s)^2}$$

Yes, that looks good. Now take some time to think about a way to evaluate this.

Umm...I have been trying this for long but I can't see a way to proceed after this:
$$\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \sum_{s=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1){r+s}}{(r+s)^2}=\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^r}{r^2}-\frac{(-1)^r}{(r+1)^2}+\frac{(-1)^r}{(r+2)^2}-\frac{(-1)^r}{(r+3)^2}\cdots$$
$$=\frac{-\pi^2}{12}-\left(\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^r}{(r+1)^2}-\frac{(-1)^r}{(r+2)^2}+\frac{(-1)^r}{(r+3)^2}\cdots\right)$$
What to do after this? :confused:

$$F_{net}=F_0\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \sum_{s=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{r+s}}{(r+s)^2}$$

Suppose you regroup the terms, collecting all terms where r+s = 1, then all terms where r+s = 2, then r+s = 3, etc

Pranav-Arora said:
Umm...I have been trying this for long but I can't see a way to proceed after this:
$$\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \sum_{s=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1){r+s}}{(r+s)^2}=\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^r}{r^2}-\frac{(-1)^r}{(r+1)^2}+\frac{(-1)^r}{(r+2)^2}-\frac{(-1)^r}{(r+3)^2}\cdots$$
$$=\frac{-\pi^2}{12}-\left(\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^r}{(r+1)^2}-\frac{(-1)^r}{(r+2)^2}+\frac{(-1)^r}{(r+3)^2}\cdots\right)$$
What to do after this? :confused:
Don't do that at all. Follow TSny's advice. If you saw it in integral form, you'd do a change of co-ordinates, no?

TSny said:

Suppose you regroup the terms, collecting all terms where r+s = 1, then all terms where r+s = 2, then r+s = 3, etc

When r+s=1, number of terms are 1.

When r+s=2, number of terms are 2.

When r+s=3, number of terms are 3.

Proceeding this way, I have the summation:
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n(-1)^n}{n^2}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{n}=-\ln(2)$$

I doubt what I have done is correct because I don't seem to be able to use the formula given in the question.

haruspex said:
If you saw it in integral form, you'd do a change of co-ordinates, no?

What do you mean by this? :confused:

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
When r+s=1, number of terms are 1.

When r+s=2, number of terms are 2.

When r+s=3, number of terms are 3.

Proceeding this way, I have the summation:
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n(-1)^n}{n^2}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{n}$$

Very good. See if you can relate this to one of the common series here

[EDIT: Oops, I see you've already done that!]

Pranav-Arora said:
I doubt what I have done is correct because I don't seem to be able to use the formula given in the question.

Recall that haruspex already indicated that you don't need the given formula except to maybe compare the result that you got to the force felt by an atom at the end of the molecule due to all the other atoms.

TSny said:
Very good. See if you can relate this to one of the common series here

Umm..what about the series mentioned in the problem? Just to confuse the students? :P

So the magnitude of net force is ##F_0\ln(2)##. I am not sure what to do now. Is this the maximum force which can be applied to pull the string of charges?

TSny said:
Recall that haruspex already indicated that you don't need the given formula except to maybe compare the result that you got to the force felt by an atom at the end of the molecule due to all the other atoms.

Yes, I remember that I used that series to calculate force on one of the charges.

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes, I remember that I used that series to calculate force on one of the charges.
So which is greater, the force between two semi-infinite chains or that between a single atom on one end and the rest of the chain?
That asked, it leaves open the question of 2 versus infinity, 3 versus infinity, and so on. To prove ln(2) is the right answer, you need to show that adding a pair of atoms on one end, e.g. going from n:∞ to (n+2):∞, always reduces the net force. The provided formula might be useful for that, but if you can prove it without resort to the formula then you don't need the formula at all.
If you saw it in integral form, you'd do a change of co-ordinates, no?
I meant, presented with ∫x>0y>0f(x+y).dxdy you'd substitute u = x+y, v = x-y, or somesuch.

haruspex said:
So which is greater, the force between two semi-infinite chains or that between a single atom on one end and the rest of the chain?
The force acting on the charge at one end due to infinite chain is:
$$F_0\frac{\pi^2}{12}=8.22 \,N$$
(the force is attractive)
That asked, it leaves open the question of 2 versus infinity, 3 versus infinity, and so on.
Do you want me to evaluate the net force on 2nd and 3rd charge from one end?
To prove ln(2) is the right answer...
Unfortunately, its incorrect. ##F_0\ln(2)=6.93\,N##,the correct answer is ##6.45 \,N##. :(
, you need to show that adding a pair of atoms on one end, e.g. going from n:∞ to (n+2):∞, always reduces the net force. The provided formula might be useful for that, but if you can prove it without resort to the formula then you don't need the formula at all.
:confused:

How does the net force decrease? I always get the same summation since the number of charges are infinite.

Pranav-Arora said:
Unfortunately, its incorrect. ##F_0\ln(2)=6.93\,N##,the correct answer is ##6.45 \,N##. :(

Interesting. I don't see it. Maybe haruspex does.

I did note that by chance ##F_0(2\frac{\pi^2}{12} - 1)## is about 6.45 N. [EDIT: I think this is the net coulomb force on the first two particles in the chain.]

But I don't see an argument for that being the answer.

Last edited:
Well, maybe I do. Consider the net Coulomb force on the first particle, the first two particles, the first three particles, etc.

(I'm not sure about this problem because I can't see how the molecule can hang together with just the point-particle Coulomb forces.)

TSny said:
Interesting. I don't see it. Maybe haruspex does.
Yes, I blundered. I thought I had proved to myself that adding one increased the force, but that's clearly wrong.
1:∞ gives ##\Sigma_1 \frac {(-1)^n}{n^2} = -\frac{\pi^2}{12}##
2:∞ gives ##-\frac{\pi^2}{12} + \Sigma_2 \frac {(-1)^n}{n^2} = 1 - 2\frac{\pi^2}{12}##
3:∞ gives ##1 -2\frac{\pi^2}{12} + \Sigma_3 \frac {(-1)^n}{n^2} = 2 - 1/4 - 3\frac{\pi^2}{12}##
This gives an alternating sequence converging to -ln(2), but the smallest magnitude term is the second one.

haruspex said:
This gives an alternating sequence converging to -ln(2), but the smallest magnitude term is the second one.

Here's a graph for fun.

Attachments

• Long Molecule Forces.png
    Long Molecule Forces.png
    7 KB · Views: 426
TSny said:
Well, maybe I do. Consider the net Coulomb force on the first particle, the first two particles, the first three particles, etc.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66869&d=1393004218

I calculate the net force on the first particle already which came out to be 8.22 N. The force is towards positive x-axis.

Won't the net force on the first two particles be simply the twice of 8.22 N? :confused:

TSny said:
For the second particle, how many other particles are to the right of the 2nd particle and how many other particles are to the left of the 2nd particle?

To the right of 2nd charge, there are infinite charges so the force due to them is ##F_0\ln(2)## but maybe I went wrong here.

If I consider that there are ##\infty-1## charges to the right, do I subtract the force due to first charge on left of it?

Pranav-Arora said:
To the right of 2nd charge, there are infinite charges so the force due to them is ##F_0\ln(2)##

Now wait a minute. The first charge feels the force of all of the charges to it's right (essentially an infinite number). And you said that the force is 8.22 N. Good.

The second charge has essentially an infinite number of charges to it's right. How do you get that the net force of these charges on the second charge is ##F_0\ln(2)##?

Besides the force from all the charges to the right of 2, there is also the force on 2 due to particle 1 on the left. How much is that force? Is it in the same direction or the opposite direction as the force due to the particles on the right?

<h2>1. What is the "chain of charges" in science?</h2><p>The "chain of charges" refers to the process by which electric charges are transferred between objects through a conductive material. This can occur through direct contact or through an electromagnetic field.</p><h2>2. Why is it important to break the chain of charges?</h2><p>Breaking the chain of charges is important in order to prevent unwanted electrical currents and potential damage to electronic devices. It also allows for controlled and intentional transfer of charges, which is essential in many scientific experiments and technologies.</p><h2>3. How can the chain of charges be broken?</h2><p>The chain of charges can be broken by insulating objects from each other, using materials with high electrical resistance, or by grounding objects to dissipate any excess charge.</p><h2>4. What are some real-world applications of breaking the chain of charges?</h2><p>Some real-world applications of breaking the chain of charges include the use of surge protectors to protect electronic devices from power surges, the use of insulators in electrical wiring to prevent fires, and the use of grounding rods to protect buildings from lightning strikes.</p><h2>5. Are there any potential risks associated with breaking the chain of charges?</h2><p>Yes, there can be potential risks associated with breaking the chain of charges, such as electrocution or damage to electronic devices if proper safety measures are not taken. It is important to follow safety protocols and use appropriate equipment when working with electrical charges.</p>

1. What is the "chain of charges" in science?

The "chain of charges" refers to the process by which electric charges are transferred between objects through a conductive material. This can occur through direct contact or through an electromagnetic field.

2. Why is it important to break the chain of charges?

Breaking the chain of charges is important in order to prevent unwanted electrical currents and potential damage to electronic devices. It also allows for controlled and intentional transfer of charges, which is essential in many scientific experiments and technologies.

3. How can the chain of charges be broken?

The chain of charges can be broken by insulating objects from each other, using materials with high electrical resistance, or by grounding objects to dissipate any excess charge.

4. What are some real-world applications of breaking the chain of charges?

Some real-world applications of breaking the chain of charges include the use of surge protectors to protect electronic devices from power surges, the use of insulators in electrical wiring to prevent fires, and the use of grounding rods to protect buildings from lightning strikes.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with breaking the chain of charges?

Yes, there can be potential risks associated with breaking the chain of charges, such as electrocution or damage to electronic devices if proper safety measures are not taken. It is important to follow safety protocols and use appropriate equipment when working with electrical charges.