Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breaking the Speed Limit of Light

1. Jan 11, 2005 #1
    If I understand it, photons on the event horizon of a black hole can go over the speed of light by the plank constant.

If they do this, what happens to their path through time?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2005 #2
    I don’t think they go faster then light... as far as I know light is still a constant

Also there path threw time? 1st off when u go the speed of light you are be 2D

2nd when it comes to time... its all perception... time is not a constant and at a black hole there is going to be a lot of random gravity changing the perception of time
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  4. Jan 11, 2005 #3

Can you clarify what you mean by this?
  5. Jan 11, 2005 #4
    Why do you even consider that photons have a "path through time" ? Its an interesting question - well IMO :) The proven idea that gravity affects that which does not experience time, in time, seems profoundly mysterious to me!

But this idea that "photons on the event horizon of a black hole can go over the speed of light by the plank constant" does not make sense to me whatsoever.

6. Jan 11, 2005 #5
    it isn't photons that are accelerated faster than c when escaping the event horizon surface of a black hole.

it's only theoretically even electromagnetic radiation, per se.

The gas jets of black holes emit "some" form of radiative energy "faster than c." I hadn't heard that Planck's constant was involved with this, though, personally, I wouldn't be surprised.

Right now astrophysicists are speculating that this energy IS electromagentic because it seems to be travelling through a gas jet very dense with iron and other heavy elements.

All of this is only speculation at this point though, and probably not much worth discussing here at this time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?