How to Simplify a Summation with Unknown Last Term?

• Thread starter mohabitar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to write a summation for a finite sum with (n-3)+1 terms. The first summation would have an index k running from k=3 to k=n-1, and the second summation would just be for the actual value of n. However, there is only one summation, as the second one only consists of a single term. The summation should include all terms except the last one, which should not be written as a summation. The last term should also be included in the summation, along with the first to (n-1)th terms.
mohabitar
xnkMQ.png

I'm having a hard time understanding what this question is even asking for. Do I just write this summation in closed form? What does it mean by its last term, or the k=n term? I know I'm supposed to have at least attempted the problem, but I honestly have no idea what this question is even asking from me to begin with.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a finite sum with (n - 3) + 1 terms. All they're asking for is a summation consisting of the first n - 3 terms + the last term; i.e., the term when k = n.

To get the first summation, the index k should run from k = 3 to k = ?

to k=n-1? And the 2nd summation would just be for the actual value of n, correct? But there are two parts to this right? First break it up into its two parts, then write a summation that contains everything but its last term, so that would be everything from k=n-1.

Here's what I got so far:
Am I done? What else are they asking for?

4wWxZ.jpg

mohabitar said:
to k=n-1? And the 2nd summation would just be for the actual value of n, correct? But there are two parts to this right? First break it up into its two parts, then write a summation that contains everything but its last term, so that would be everything from k=n-1.
Everything from k = 3 to k = n - 1. There isn't really a second summation - you could write it as a summation, but it consists of just a single term, so writing it in summation form is overkill.

In your reply with the scan, you aren't getting it. The last term part should not be written as a summation. It is a single term.

The "remaining terms" part is wrong. Your summation represents only the last two terms of the original summation. It should include the first term, second term, ..., (n - 1)st term.

1. What is "Breaking up a summation"?

"Breaking up a summation" is a mathematical technique used to simplify a long sum into smaller, more manageable parts. It involves breaking down a larger sum into smaller sums that are easier to solve or evaluate.

2. How is "Breaking up a summation" done?

To break up a summation, you can use several techniques such as grouping like terms, using the distributive property, or rewriting the expression in a different form. The goal is to simplify the expression and make it easier to solve.

3. When is "Breaking up a summation" useful?

"Breaking up a summation" is useful when dealing with complex sums that involve a large number of terms. It can also be helpful when trying to find patterns or relationships within a sum, as breaking it up can make those patterns more apparent.

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using "Breaking up a summation"?

Yes, there are some limitations to using this technique. It may not always be possible to break up a summation, especially if the sum contains terms with variables or exponentials. Additionally, breaking up a summation may not always lead to a simpler or more easily solvable expression.

5. Can "Breaking up a summation" be applied to other types of mathematical expressions?

Yes, the concept of breaking up an expression into smaller parts can be applied to other mathematical operations such as multiplication and division. It can also be used in other areas of mathematics, such as geometry and calculus, to simplify complex equations or expressions.