1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breaking up CO2 using heat

1. Jun 25, 2012 #1
    I was wondering at what heat does CO2 begin to breakup as a molecule?

If I make an electrical arc and put it through air will I be breaking up CO2?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2
    Carbon dioxide has been broken to Carbon monoxide and oxygen at 1500oC by scientist. Now to break CO itself , we have to require a lot of heat energy indeed because its polar covalent bond. I think that passing electrical arc through air will break CO2 molecule. But again , it requires very very and very high temperature indeed. Hence breaking CO2 to C and O2 is very difficult. Electric arc at range 1500oC can break methane molecule. So CO2 will require electric arc of thrice or more temperature than methane to directly separate CO2 to C and O2. However , I'm not cent percent sure ! I have not experimented. I am just saying this by theoretical knowledge.

Needs to be moved to chemistry section....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook