Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breaking up is hard to do

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My 18-year-old baby sister just got dumped by her boyfriend. The reason: he is going into the priesthood.

This has got to be one of the strangest breakup stories I have ever heard. Poor thing is crying her eyes out. :cry: She was crazy about him.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:bugeye:

Did she have any clue to his plans? Poor thing, she must be crushed. :frown:

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think she has been in denial for several months. He had hinted at it once before, but I don't think she took it seriously. :frown:

5. Nov 13, 2006 #4
    Wow -- Tell her one of my friend's brothers drove three women to the nunnery. (The fun of going to a Catholic undergrad was that I heard of this stuff all the time.)

She's 18... tell her to put everything in a box, to pull out someday when her son/daughter has a break-up. It'd be a great story to tell THEN. That's what I decided to do about my first boyfriend when we broke up (I was about the same age as your sis). Of course, then I threw the box away years later... healing takes time. Now I just have the story and a few (very few) letters.

6. Nov 13, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh my! :eek: I've known a few guys like that!

That's a good idea. Much better than mine. I was just going to buy her a copy of The Thornbirds. :biggrin: o:)

7. Nov 13, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that's a tough one, because it's one of those cases where it probably meant there was nothing at all wrong with the relationship, other than he's not allowed to have one anymore. :frown: It's kind of hard getting over it by convincing yourself he was a no good jerk and it never would have worked out anyway if he's going into the priesthood. :bugeye:

Tell her there's only one thing left to do, sign up here and join the PF Sisterhood! (Speaking of which, have we determined physics girl's shoe size yet?) :biggrin:

8. Nov 13, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Geez, talk about pouring salt on the wounds!

Tell her to write the Catholic Church to encourage them to change their position on not allowing priests to be married.

Alternatively, tell her to have her boyfriend become a Unitarian-Universalist. We're very liberal and flexible, but very nice too! o:)

I should point out that Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau, and even Albert Schweitzer were Unitarians.

9. Nov 13, 2006 #8
    Moonbear -- you're so sweet! But my foot size is way too large to reveal!

P.S. Just so ya'll know, I'll be changing my online name soon. I'm thinking of going to "3-D" or "Three-D" when I get married in a few weeks-- when I become a (Dr. Debra. D.! -- yep, I'm name changing just cause it sounds cool). I just found and joined Physics forum the WEEK that I defended my thesis, fell in LOVE with the forum :!!) and joined it instantly (and "physics girl" is my forum name on a non-physics forum). Now, I few weeks later, I feel so... immodest. :shy:

10. Nov 13, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was a favorite line for all of us Catholic guys. :uhh:

Who knows, maybe he will have a change of heart. I don't know what the drop-out rate is for priests but it's probably pretty high.

I did a quick google
    http://www.conceptionabbey.org/TowerTopics/TTFall05/admintheo.htm

11. Nov 13, 2006 #10

berkeman

How about [tex]D^3[/tex]

12. Nov 13, 2006 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) 51% of all college students graduate within 5 years, so there's not much difference in the drop out rate. College Graduation Rates Steady Despite Increased Enrollment

2) What girl would want to marry a college dropout, anyway? She only gets the guy if the guy's a loser! :rofl:

13. Nov 13, 2006 #12

turbo

Gold Member

That's got to stink! She could probably have an easier time if she had been tossed in favor of another young woman that was prettier, nicer to him, more popular, wealthy, etc, etc. Immature people do that kind of stuff all the time, and at least she could say "He's shallow, chasing another girl just because she's got a big chest and flirts." or something similar. How do you rationalize getting dumped by someone who essentially chose "none of the above" over you, especially if you respect him for his faith? Someone nice will come along for her. At age 18, days and weeks can seem like ages, and she may seem "down" for a while - I know you can give her some perspective.

My "niece" (actually my cousin's daughter, but she is closer to me than any other female relative) is getting married next summer at the age of 28. If you look in the dictionary under "cute", she'll be there. She was pursued fairly relentlessly by a couple of guys that were entirely inappropriate for her (including "handsome" and "wealthy") and after several years with a gem of a guy who is the son of a minister and manages a chain restaurant, they are going to tie the knot. I just want them to move to Maine so we can spend more time with them and (hopefully) kick their butts at darts. :biggrin: I have been waiting for this announcement for years.

14. Nov 13, 2006 #13
    Be prepared for some extremely low jokes about cup-size from someone whose screen name also coincidentally begins with a 'D'. The fellow apparently has no sense of decorum whatsoever, and would probably be insulted if anyone implied he did.

I would never even imply such a joke, of course.

15. Nov 13, 2006 #14
    Not Orthodox then... ohh well

16. Nov 13, 2006 #15

Evo

You need to learn to use smilies. See, how your meaning is now clear as opposed to without the smiley?

Smilies, I'm telling ya, you need them. :tongue:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  17. Nov 13, 2006 #16
    Tsk, tsk. Shouldn't that word be spelt "smiley" in the singular? (Unless, of course, you attend school in either NZ or San Bardino.)

18. Nov 13, 2006 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not to mention, there's something wrong with your 'I'.

I:shy: , on the other hand:approve: , am well versed in smilie use:cool: .

19. Nov 13, 2006 #18

Evo

Why, whatever are you talking about? :uhh:

And it's "spelled", spelt is an ancient form of wheat and is pretty nasty.

And don't use that "I lived in London" excuse. :grumpy:

20. Nov 13, 2006 #19
    Specialized fonts and whatnot are all very well and have their place deep in the bowels of marketing departments. But if you cannot make your point without them, you shouldn't oughta be writing inna first place.

I will use bold and italics here and there, mostly to get that true-to-life, arrogant, "you're-too-stupid-to-figure-it-out-by-yourself" tone I use so often when speaking.

Who? Me? Cop a pose? Never happen!

21. Nov 13, 2006 #20
    I read lots of Brit-lit as a kid. (Arthur Ransome is great, isn't he?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?