Why did her boyfriend dump her for the priesthood?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary: I mean, "if the guy's been called to other work," and leaves seminary.In summary, a 18-year-old girl's boyfriend recently broke up with her because he is going into the priesthood, which she was not expecting. Her initial reaction was shock and sadness, as she was very invested in the relationship. She was in denial about his plans for a while and only recently realized that he was serious about becoming a priest. This is a difficult situation to deal with as there was nothing wrong with their relationship, it was just a matter of him not being allowed to have one anymore. There is a high drop-out rate for seminary students, so there is a chance that he may change his mind, but it is uncertain
huh? what vow of celibacy? was that on the checklist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
My 18-year-old baby sister just got dumped by her boyfriend. The reason: he is going into the priesthood.

This has got to be one of the strangest breakup stories I have ever heard. Poor thing is crying her eyes out. :cry: She was crazy about him.

Remind her that at least he didn't leave her because he didn't like her, or stopped loving her or something. He just did it because he holds his God above everything else in his life, like a good catholic would do.

Office_Shredder said:
Triplicate is key
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: The gov't will then just lose it three times! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

-- The future D-cubed :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Math Is Hard said:
huh? what vow of celibacy? was that on the checklist?
Page 3 of your I Hereby Sell My Soul To Evo contract, paragraph 5, small print, yup. It's there: "In order to foster and maintain a level of aggressiveness sufficient to instantly smack miscreants with frozen salmon and other fish whenever called upon to do so, I hereby vow to completely refrain from sexual relations and sexual acts and sexual behavior of any and all kinds."

I warned you not to join, Math!

You didn't realize it, but now you're really a nun!

I had two friends of mine go into the seminary. When I found out, I had two completely different reactions for each. For one of them, I wasn't too surprised, though I thought that he should've gone into physics or engineering. For the other, my jaw literally dropped to the floor. He was someone that I had known since I was five or six and had lived next door to me for the past six years, but the priesthood was the last thing I expected from him. Granted, I hadn't really hung out with him in high school, but I still saw him regularly in classes, and it was quite a shock. Since then, my family and I have come up with all sorts of cynical reasons as to why he might have decided to become a priest (but I won't repeat those).

All in all, out of ten people going to the local seminary in the entire metropolitan area, three of them came from my high school. I guess that's what I get for attending a Jesuit school. :wink:

zoobyshoe said:
Page 3 of your I Hereby Sell My Soul To Evo contract, paragraph 5, small print, yup. It's there: "In order to foster and maintain a level of aggressiveness sufficient to instantly smack miscreants with frozen salmon and other fish whenever called upon to do so, I hereby vow to completely refrain from sexual relations and sexual acts and sexual behavior of any and all kinds."
Of course, as always, there is a loophole. That's why lawyers :devil: exist.

Just check paragraph 6.6.6. :biggrin:

Evo said:
WHEN? Did I miss something, did I sleep through it? :cry:
I believe discretion is distinctly the better part of valor for me on this one.

(to self: "do not drive the truck through the conversational opening, do not drive the mac truck through the opening,...)

twisting_edge said:
(to self: "do not drive the truck through the conversational opening, do not drive the mac truck through the opening,...)
Need to add - "Do not operate machinery or heavy equipment while under the influence."

Also, exercise caution when attempting to influence. :biggrin:

Know when to duck :uhh: , and when to keep mouth shut :biggrin: .