Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breakthrough Propulsion Physics

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1
    First-time poster here, so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, or if it has already been discussed. In other words, go easy on me………

I’m interested in advances in physics that can be used as new power sources for spacecraft. NASA had a program, called the Breakthrough Propulsion Physics (BPP) program, that supported research into emerging areas of physics that could be used to power future spacecraft. A summary of their goals is below.

The program was cancelled around 2002. I like the whole concept, because it sounded like it was going to be a “clearinghouse” of scientific papers and other work dealing with advances in physics related to space travel. I could follow these advances, without having to wade across the web, and dig through all of the half-baked ideas.

Like I said though, the program was cancelled. Are there any other sites out there that tracks papers and research that is applicable to future space travel?

As its name suggests, the Breakthrough Propulsion Physics Project is specifically looking for propulsion breakthroughs from physics. It is not looking for further technological refinements of existing methods. Such refinements are being explored in other projects under the ASTP. Instead, this project looks beyond existing methods, searching for further advances in science from which genuinely new technology can emerge - technology to surpass the limits of existing methods. Topics of interest include experiments and theories regarding the coupling of gravity and electromagnetism, vacuum fluctuation energy, warp drives and wormholes, and superluminal quantum effects. Because these propulsion goals are presumably far from fruition, a special emphasis of the project is to identify and support affordable, near-term, and credible research that will make incremental progress toward these propulsion goals.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2006 #2
    Blue3992,

Yes. The NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts (NIAC) is an excellent resource. Not only do they explore advanced propulsion concepts, but they also explore lots of interesting studies concerning the future goals of NASA. My personal favorite study is the Magbeam Propulsion System (look in the "Funded Studies" area).

Another resource is Centauri Dreams. This site is linked with the Interstellar Flight Foundation of which Marc Millis (of the NASA BPP project) is a founding member.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?