Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breeding program

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    Another writer here – Mendelian genetics problem:

I have a genetically distinct population that is smaller than that which is needed to sustain itself. They decide to outbreed with a local population which is geographically isolated. What would the strategy resemble that would permit them, at a much later date, to reliably breed (inbreed?) back to some specific genetic trait(s) of the original population? (I am assuming that they keep good records.) What would this imply in terms of the number of generations required to accomplish such a goal? What kind of problems would these people likely face in the process?

I'm aware of the breeding program that recovered Przewalski’s horse and I assume that this is the same, or a similar, problem but my limited understanding of genetics doesn't qualify me to extrapolate from that example even if I had the data.

Thank you,
    gruid

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted