Breit Wigner Curve: Finding Reaction Rate from FWHM

In summary: So, to find the ##\Delta t##:1. Find the peak value of the ##\Delta E## function.2. Take the derivative of the ##\Delta E## function with respect to ##t##.
Robsta

Homework Statement

I've got a given Breit Wigner curve of the number of decays at given energies.

I've been told by several sources that the width (FWHM) of the curve gives the rate of the reaction.

I can't see however how an energy here actually translates into a rate.

Homework Equations

I understand that from the uncertainty principle $$ \Delta E \Delta t = \hbar $$ and therefore $$ \frac{\Delta E}{\hbar} = \Delta t $$ but to what does delta t refer? It seems to me like an uncertainty in the lifetime which is of course not what I'm after.

How would I find the actual lifetime rather than the error in the lifetime?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Attached is a picture of the relevant curves in case it adds anything. Although I've labelled the width Gamma I am aware that it's a graph of energy of decay against frequency of decay.

Attachments

• IMG_2302.JPG
    IMG_2302.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 814
I also have a question about the second part of the question visible in the image above. The question is "Use symmetry to explain why the neutral rho meson does not decay to two neutral pion".

My argument goes like this:

The parity of neutral rho is (-1) (since L=0). The parity of a neutral pi is also (-1). Therefore the parity of two neutral pions is therefore 1. So parity would not be conserved.
Also, the angular momentum of the neutral rho meson is 1 (L=0 S=1). And the angular momentum of the two neutral pions would be 0. So angular momentum would not be conserved.

Is the parity argument valid since parity is not necessarily conserved by the weak interaction? Is it for some reason safe to assume that it is conserved here?

Robsta said:

Homework Statement

I've got a given Breit Wigner curve of the number of decays at given energies.

I've been told by several sources that the width (FWHM) of the curve gives the rate of the reaction.

I can't see however how an energy here actually translates into a rate.

Homework Equations

I understand that from the uncertainty principle $$ \Delta E \Delta t = \hbar $$ and therefore $$ \frac{\Delta E}{\hbar} = \Delta t $$ but to what does delta t refer? It seems to me like an uncertainty in the lifetime which is of course not what I'm after.

How would I find the actual lifetime rather than the error in the lifetime?
The ##\Delta t## is basically the lifetime itself! (I say "basically" because there is some numerical factor).

1. What is the Breit Wigner Curve?

The Breit Wigner Curve is a mathematical function used in nuclear and particle physics to describe the energy dependence of a resonance or decay process. It is named after the physicists Gregory Breit and Eugene Wigner.

2. How is the Breit Wigner Curve used to find reaction rates?

The Breit Wigner Curve is used to determine the reaction rate by calculating the full width at half maximum (FWHM) of the curve. This value represents the width of the peak at half of its maximum height, and is related to the reaction rate by a mathematical formula.

3. What is the significance of the FWHM in the Breit Wigner Curve?

The FWHM in the Breit Wigner Curve is significant because it represents the energy spread of a resonance or decay process. This value is directly related to the reaction rate, which is an important factor in understanding and predicting nuclear and particle interactions.

4. How is the Breit Wigner Curve related to the uncertainty principle?

The Breit Wigner Curve is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The FWHM in the Breit Wigner Curve represents the energy spread, or uncertainty, of a particle's decay or resonance process.

5. What are some limitations of using the Breit Wigner Curve to find reaction rates?

One limitation of using the Breit Wigner Curve to find reaction rates is that it assumes a single, isolated resonance or decay process. In reality, there may be multiple overlapping processes that can affect the observed FWHM and therefore the calculated reaction rate. Additionally, the Breit Wigner Curve may not accurately describe all types of resonances or decay processes, and other mathematical models may be needed to accurately determine reaction rates in certain situations.